Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm redoing front bearings on the 67 and noticed that the grease container said not recommended for discs. Preferred for drums. Is this some brand name marketing ploy to buy the latest and greatest or is there a huge difference in the two types? The container said that it was rated to protect up to 320 degrees farenheit. I don't think I'll be running my car that hard so will it be ok to use this grease? I know it seems like a silly question but I have already rebuilt one hub and have another one halfway done.
Any info apprerciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
You should only use wheel bearing grease that is rated for discs. Like the container said the grease is only rated to 320 degrees F and discs can generate a lot more heat than drums, hence the different grease requirement. Grease is cheap. Go buy a tub at the auto parts. I like the high performance red grease these days but you can use anything that is rated for discs.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I wouldnt use grease not recommended for discs.

The price difference of grease is definitely worth the protection.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I needed a different bearing anyway so when it comes in tomorrow I'll get some other grease. I just hate to tear the driver's side back apart but oh well.

·
Registered
890 Posts

BS, wheel bearing grease is wheel bearing grease. Those bearings are the same in all wheel applications.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts

BS, wheel bearing grease is wheel bearing grease. Those bearings are the same in all wheel applications.

LOL...did you even read the posts above mine?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yes I did, and I repeat. Wheel bearing grease is wheel bearing grease. Bearings are bearings. They are all made out of steel. There is no scientific difference between one steel bearing and another. If you think there is, then furnish the data to prove it. Marketing is a powerful tool. You can go ahead and pay more for bearing grease for a marketing scheme, but you are just wasting your money.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
you need to read up on grease,there is a difference

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
To the original post.....

I have very little trouble believing discs produce A LOT of additional heat compared to drums.....considering that, and my belief that a car nut probably wont go thru a tub of grease in less than a decade....I'll spend the extra few bucks and get a name brand synthetic grease for my cars.

·
Registered
890 Posts
You are right, Sharkmouth. If in doubt, get the most expensive grease your pocketbook will allow. If not in doubt, then get the regular bearing grease we old timer Mustang owners have been using for 40 + years without a problem.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
You are right, Sharkmouth. If in doubt, get the most expensive grease your pocketbook will allow. If not in doubt, then get the regular bearing grease we old timer Mustang owners have been using for 40 + years without a problem.

Honestly, yes.....

The ENTIRE WEIGHT or the car is riding on around 25-50 small steel rollers at all times. So yes, for my car I am going to do just that.

Why do you care what I do with my car? (that is what I originally posted about anyway)

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Since the grease that he has says not recommended for disc's it is most likely a short fiber based grease. that will not be suitable for use in a disc brake application....regardless of what you think

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Shut your piehole already. If you have a regular old Mustang with drum brakes then you can use the regular old wheel bearing grease. If you have discs then you need to get the grease that is at least up to spec for discs. It doens't have to be expensive grease, it just has to have a higher max temperature threshold and you can use that grease on either discs or drums. We are taking about a couple of dollars here so why cheap out and use the wrong stuff that can turn to liquid and leak out of the bearings?

Geez, get over yousrself and take some Geritol because you don't know what you are talking about Mr. conspiracy marketing theory loudmouth.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Ron,
I thought we were talking about the difference between wheel bearing grease for drum and disk brakes, and not a challenge confrontation resulting in name calling. I don't post on this forum to be insulted as you have just done. My statement about the difference between wheel bearing grease still stands. If you can show me any scientific proof that there is a difference in wheel bearing greases, then I will listen to your argument, but until that event, you are just an instigator. You have attacked me without provocation. Most likely you are many years younger than I am, and have a few years to gain some knowledge regarding old mustangs, and working on cars in general. Show me the proof kid, then I will respond in kind.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'm not an instigator, you are a stubborn person who does not know what he is talking about but seems to want to keep flapping his jowls. Let it die, eveyone else who has posted DISAGREES with you. I don't care what you THINK to be correct but since wheel bearings are a safety item in my book it would be nice if you would stop telling the OP an untruth. Go educate youreslf as it is not my job and I already know what kind of grease to use and have for 25 years. I have a large tub of heavy duty wheel bearing grease in the garage that implicitly states "Do not use on vehicles with disc brakes". How can it be any plainer? The kind of grease for use with disc brakes is no more expensive so it isn't some kind of a marketing ploy as you seem to think, it is a SAFETY issue. You do what you want to your car but don't compromise someone elses safety for the sake of your ego and lack of knowledge.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I don't post on this forum to be insulted as you have just done.

Gimme a break......your incessant repetitive posts were blatantly criticizing WHAT I CHOOSE TO DO WITH MY OWN CAR!!!!

Not that I give a good G____mn what you think of the choices I make about my car.

Youre desperate to win an argument like some 11 year old girl would be.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I see that you have a 57. Does it have a 3 point safety seat belt? I see that you have early Mustangs. Do they have 3 point safety seat belts? Do all of your vintage cars have dual brake master cylinders and disk brakes? If not, your argument about safety is awash. Good night, I won't argue with you any further on the forum. You obviously don't know how to post a civil answer.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
BS, wheel bearing grease is wheel bearing grease. Those bearings are the same in all wheel applications. [/quote]

Ahh, yes this is a civilized response?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I don't post on this forum to be insulted as you have just done.

Gimme a break......your incessant repetitive posts were blatantly criticizing WHAT I CHOOSE TO DO WITH MY OWN CAR!!!!

Not that I give a good G____mn what you think of the choices I make about my car.

Youre desperate to win an argument like some 11 year old girl would be.
Sharkmouth.....I wasn't talking to you. I am not at all wanting to win an argument. I simply don't see the difference in wheel bearig greases. If you, or anyone else can show me why a disk brake wheel bearing needs a different grease, then I will reply in kind. That's all. I am not in an argumentative mode, but I can be. ::

1 - 20 of 27 Posts