Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got done putting everything back after repacking wheel bearings. Took it for a short spin, came back and the grease caps are HOT,! Temp gun says 160 on one side.

My torque wrench is shot, so when I tightened I just did them nice and tight, (still able to turn). And then backed off one hole.

Is there a better way to do these without a working torque wrench!?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They spun, but not free cause the brakes drag...

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
They spun, but not free cause the brakes drag...
Your wheel bearings could be hot because you did not set up the pre-load correctly.It is always a good idea to setup the front wheel bearing pre-load before the caliper/pads are re-installed. That way there is no external drag on the rotor and the rotor can be spun freely to evaluate the bearings. I would remove your pads/calipers and re-set your bearing pre-load using the factory procedure (you didnt). Beg/borrow a torque wrench and follow the procedure. You do not want to eff with your front wheel bearings.

Your wheel bearing caps could also be hot because your rotors got hot because your calipers are not completely releasing. That is a different issue.

Are they hot on both sides?

Paul

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No rotors. Front drums. They are adjusted just so they begin to rub..
I will try to do hubs with brakes backed off tomorrow, and then set brakes. And get a torque wrench...

·
Premium Member
11,440 Posts
So I just got done putting everything back after repacking wheel bearings. Took it for a short spin, came back and the grease caps are HOT,! Temp gun says 160 on one side.

My torque wrench is shot, so when I tightened I just did them nice and tight, (still able to turn). And then backed off one hole.

I've done it this way for 45 years even though I own several torque wrenches. I turn the tire while I'm tightening the nut. Never had a problem.
As I recall you recently stated that you still have drum brakes. If it is adjusted too tight it's gonna heat up the drum and everything attached to the drum. Check the adjustment.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
On 68 you torque the nut to 17-25 ft-lbs while turning the drum/rotor/wheel/tire. Then you back off 1/2 turn then re-torque to 10-15 in-lbs. Not sure if earlier uses a different sequence.

Paul

·
Registered
8,990 Posts

Backed off one hole?
You mean backed off one slot I'm guessing. Might be pretty close.
The issue is how tight you cranked on it to begin with. My guess is
too tightly....
As suggested, use a torque wrench to set pre-load on bearings.
I work for a bearing manufacturer and teach the proper procedure.
I don't even do it by feel.
It doesn't take much effort to be too tight and kill the bearing.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,356 Posts
Just a drive around a couple of blocks at low speeds can make brakes too hot to touch for a few minutes upon return. That heat will also be present at the hubs. Multiple personal experiences.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fixed. Just too tight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts