Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lug studs have loosened and are turning in the hub on my 68 coupe 302 making removal of the wheels difficult at times. Is it possible to weld the back side of the studs to the hub to prevent this? The holes in the hub look like they have 2 or 3 tiny tiny splits ( not the splines ). Or would it be better to replace the entire studs with new?

69 Coupe 302, 4 speed, primer red
66 Coupe, Sauterne Gold , 200 (aka goose sh** green) rust bucket

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Yes, you can tack weld them but I would advise against it. The studs should be tight in their bores. Take the studs out and see if they are really the problem or if the drum (if front) or axle flange (rear) bores have opened up. You state that the bores have tiny splits. If so you will want to replace them for safety reasons. New studs are cheap compared to losing a wheel at highway speed. It has happened to me and it is scary. If the splits give way before the studs you will have no margin of safety like you would if only one stud breaks. Don't drive the car again unitl you fix this.

...modified '65 convertible...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx. I had a suspicion that the hub would need replacing. Both sides probably. Haven't checked the rear yet. Almost looks like a tiny stress fracture.

69 Coupe 302, 4 speed, primer red (for that "saving my $ for a real paint job !" look)
66 Coupe, Sauterne Gold , 200 (aka goose sh** green) rust bucket

1 - 3 of 3 Posts