Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car came with a set of NOS wheel lip opening moldings in the trunk. I've looked at a lot of 68 GT pictures, including pictures of my car in 73',I see some have the moldings some do not. I don't see them listed under a particular option group either?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,783 Posts
Look along the wheel lip sheet metal for 5 or 6 screw holes. Maybe the screws were put back in. If so, this would tell you if the car was built that way or not.
Also, judging by the posts you have made, do you have a Marti Report? If not, buy one. It tells you the factory installed options, their price, the dealer the car was sold at. See if it was built with the Exterior decor group.
Black with red interior seems to be a desirable combination. Good for you.
Last comment: when posting for "wanted" items, it helps to know where you are as those long rocker moulding are a headache to ship.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I know for 67 & think 68 be the same, wheel well lip molding was part of the "exterior decor" option.
For coupe & convertibles was wheel well molding, pop open gas cap, rear deck lid and rear fender extention molding, not sure about the hood molding. The FB had came with rear deck lid molding.
Someone else can add to what I missed.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have the Marti report on the car and it does list the exterior decor group. I didn't see the wheel moldings in that option group from my research. I wondered if the wheel opening moldings are like the rocker moldings and all 68's had them originally.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I know for 67 & think 68 be the same, wheel well lip molding was part of the "exterior decor" option.
For coupe & convertibles was wheel well molding, pop open gas cap, rear deck lid and rear fender extention molding, not sure about the hood molding. The FB had came with rear deck lid molding.
Someone else can add to what I missed.
The exterior decor group also included the hood louvers with integral turn signal lights.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
I know for 67 & think 68 be the same, wheel well lip molding was part of the "exterior decor" option. Someone else can add to what I missed.
The "Exterior Decor Group" was dropped between the 67/68 model years. I believe the wheel opening moldings were part of the new for 1968 "Sports Trim Group", but no doubt they were often offered as a "stand alone add-on" by dealers for additional profit mark-up and customers could also buy them over the counter from Ford Dealer Parts Departments. They must have been popular because based on pics a great many cars had (or grew) them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the statistics report. I saved the email from Marti auto works in a Yahoo inbox folder and apparently Yahoo deletes the attachments on old emails so I get to pay Marti to do it again. I'm having them send me a hard copy also this time.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
There was "deluxe interior" for 67, not to be confused with Exterior Decor.

Maybe in 68 there was an "interior decor" option.
Again won't be confused with an "exterior decor" if there was one. Or was phased out like the "turn signal hoods" were.

All 67/68 stangs, orig 4 spd cars cool & rare.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Yahoo deletes the attachments on old emails so I get to pay Marti to do it again. I'm having them send me a hard copy also this time.
I believe you are mistaken about your car's Marti Report listing "Exterior Decor Group". It was not available for the 1968 model year. Also, because your car had the GT Equipment Group it could not also have had the "Sports Trim Group" (which included wheel opening moldings) as they were conflicting options. You could get one or the other, but not both. The moldings you came by with your car purchase must have been added at some point after it left the factory, like the amber fogs I'd bet.
But what a nicely optioned car you have there, great choice! :thumbsup::smile2:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you are correct. I believe my 67' had the exterior decor option. Either way I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about these cars. I appreciate all the info, many more questions to come.

·
Registered
422 Posts
From what I have found and been told, there was an Option for 1968 that included the Wheel Lip Moldings along with Front and Rear Bumper Guards. Although, I have not been able to find the name of this "package".

Attached is from the 1968 Sales Brochure (Revised 12/67).

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would these be considered front bumper guards even though they don't have a rubber insert? I don't see any in the back.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I believe,,, most 67 & 68 had just front chrome bumper guards.
However, there was some kind of option ( I think) not sure if exterior décor, when you could have front bumperettes with optional rubber strips. I added the "optional" rubber ones on my 67 just because little extra protection and look classy.

As for the rear, only 67 had rear body color painted bumperettes. None for 68.. A guess, more Ford cost cutting..

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts