Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- Just got my Boyd Coddington wheels yesterday. I put them on the car...they fit great in the rear but not sure about the front. Fenders are at the body shop right now but from what I can tell its going to be really really tight.
Anyone have any first hand experience or information with 17x8 inch wheels (4.75 offset)? I've seen in Mustang Monthly and the other publications that 17x8 wheels aren't that uncommon on '65 Fastbacks.
Specs on my car: '65 fastback, rolled fenders and quarters, Shelby arm relocation and 620 coils, wheels are B.Coddington 17x8 with a 4.75 offset using a 245/45/17 Nitto rubber.
Thanks,
D

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I put that size on a 68 & had a few issues with clearence. Check the upper balljoint clearence to the rim. I had to add 1" spacers all around. Might could have gotten away without them on the rear, but they came in a set of 4's so I put them on. You also might have a slight fender rub when you get the fenders on. I did & had to roll the fenders. Same size tires. Now I'm good.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I have 17x8 with 4.75 BS on my 65.
I have 235 45 17 NItto on the front with no fender rolling needed.
I also have SSBS front disc brakes.
I have 255 40 17 Nitto on the rear with rolled rear fender also with SSBC disc brakes.

The car has the shelby a arm mod, 620 one inch drop springs, and a heavier 351c in the front. The rear was mid eye 5 leafs. I run front and rear sway bars, under riders, and sub frame bars.

http://www.dodgestang.com/images/newtires8.jpg

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Not to change the subject (but I'm going to anyway *LOL*), but was wondering how you liked the Nitto tires, Nick. I had them on my '66 and thought they were a huge waste of money. I was amazed at how easily I spun them for a AAA traction rated tire, and it was almost impossible to get the car to move from a stop light on an incline on wet roads. I was just curious if you had the same experience?

The AA traction rated Yokahama's I have on now don't have half the traction probem as I had with the Nittos.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
John, so far I like them alot. They have given me plenty of traction on dry roads coming out of a u-turn with a stomp from 10 to 110. But, he car wasn't set up right yet so the HP was way down. Allthough even with the 295 RWHP and the 4.11 they held their own pretty good. I know with any tire there are grades. Do you recal what 'model' tire you had? mine are NITTO NT 555 EXTREME PERF 255-40-17 rear and 235-45-17 front

For the price I had to try them. the reveiws rated them just as high was tires I was looking at that were $200+ each so for $500 I bought 4 and thought what the heck, the worst that can happen is I burn through them

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
Seeing as how I don't think a set of 245s would easily fit the front of a '67 up Mustang, I don't think you will be able to pull it off on a '65. I always stick with 225 for the fronts to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I've got good news, and I've got bad news....

The good news is that 17x8 with 4.75" B/S IS the correct "maximum" wheel size for the front of a 65/66 (assuming you have stock-style brakes).

The bad news is that 245's aren't going to fit without major work - extra static negative camber + fender lips rolled flat. 235's are TIGHT, 225's fit well (even on an 8" wheel).

Buy you a pair of 225/45-17's for the front (235's if you're daring), and hold onto the extra pair of 245's for when you wear the first pair out... :p

·
Registered
477 Posts
I run 17x8. 4.75 bs at all 4 corners. I run 235/45 Kumhos front and 245/45 rear. I have 620 coils and the shelby drop. The front fender lips are trimmed now, without them trimmed I did get rub going up driveways with the wheels full lock turn

http://www.2mfffabshop.com/miscpic/frnsid.JPG

·
Registered
709 Posts
I run 235/45/17's on the front and 255/45/17's on the back with pretty much all the upgrades of everyone else here. I did the pro-motorsports version of the shelby drop which drops it more than one inch. So I've got about 1.5" inches of drop in the front and 1" in the back and the only tires that ocassionally hit are the rear tires into my mudflaps. My fenders are not completely rolled either as I'd mess up the paint job if I did. I just rolled the sharp edge up just in case.
-Brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts