Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, we are thinking of going with a set of Torque Thrust II's, and I was wondering of what sizes you would recommend. I don't know anything about backspacing for these wheels and this car, so any help would be great.
I was looking at 16x7's, is that a viable option for a 66 convertable? And what size is the bolt pattern, I feel stupid for not knowing, and the car is not with me.

'66 droptop, 289 C4 auto.
Mid-resto status

·
7,010 Posts
Bolt pattern is 4 1/2 inches. I have 15 X 7 on mine, but 16X 7 should also work, you will just need to go with a 50 series tire I would think. On the 15 X7's the ONLY standard backspacing available is 3.75 inches. Custom backspacing is available but the wheels are much more expensive and non-returnable. The good news is that the standard backspacing (3.75") will work fine on your car.

Take your car and wheels into a tire store and ask them to tell you what they recommend. My 15 x 7's only have 205 60 15's, but that is still a lot more tire than they came with from the factory. The holds the curves extremely well. Probably even better than my Chevy Tahoe /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

Good luck on whatever you decide. See my sight for pictures of my '65 with TT2's. Don't buy new wheels if you plan on changing your brakes latter. Brakes 1st. Wheels 2nd. Or both at the same time. I learned that one the hard way.

Phil

'65 Convertible (with many mods.)
http://www.blueriver.net/~finite/Pony.htm

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may be mistaken but I thought that you had to modify the front suspension to fit 16 inch rims. I thought I've read about needing to relocate the front arm like the Shelby's or having to install a negative wedge kit? Like I said I'm not 100% sure if this is true but I am curious as I plan on putting 16's on my 69.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
To fit 8 inch wide wheels, you need a negative wedge kit.

7 inch rims work fine with correct backspace - as long as you use a lower profile tire to keep everything the same height.

The car doesn't "know" whether the rim is 14, 15, 16, or 17".

My 1965 Restomod Shelby Clone
http://www.hometown.aol.com/ihatecar24/clone65.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts