Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 67 coupe it was set up as a street racer. I've pretty much got it back to stock except for the wheels. Right now it has 10" wide wheels on the rear & 6" wide wheels on the front. Needless to say, it handles like crap. What I want is old school (cause I'm old, 71) chrome reverse wheels with baby moon caps. What I don't know is what width wheels do I want. Same size all the way around ? Or like 6' in the front & 7' in the rear ? Either way, I'm going with 15' wheels. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Popular in the late 50's and into the 60's, "chrome reverse wheels" were originally a factory steel wheel with the center removed and reinstalled backwards on the rim section creating a negative offset wheel. They were also referred to as "deep dish" wheels. They were almost always finished in chrome and run with a "baby moon" hubcap (or no cap at all). Due to their popularity, a number of aftermarket suppliers assembled them from new parts and sold a ton of them. They were a great low cost alternative to the "mag" type wheels that became popular in the mid 60's and beyond.

·
Registered
8,361 Posts
Chrome reverse wheels...... look good on my '48. Don't know about on a Mustang.
My cousin had some on her '65 back in the day though.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Best pic I have at the moment this is 1st 66 with 14x8 chrome reverse wheels and G6014's under air shocks on the back, 195/75/14 up front

Note to OP don't go "investing" in a set of air shocks

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
Maybe post a few pictures of the car so that members can give you a better opinion as to what wheel/tire combo they think would look best. I also agree that your current wheel choice would be iffy on a classic mustang. Most people seem to go with a Magnum 500 wheel or a 5 spoke wheel such as American Racing or a Cragar... etc. I went with 17" Foose wheels because I like a bit larger of a wheel plus I wanted chrome as I think the polished aluminum looks ok when brand new but then they always look dirty afterward IMO. Also, the chrome Foose wheels I bought were actually cheaper than the American Racing ones in the same size and in aluminum. It was an easy choice for me.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I remember the chrome reverse wheels. Mostly on the 50's chevy's, maybe on some of the early Galaxy's but not on the Mustang's. Search ' Wheel Vintiques ' I think they will have your reverse wheels. Brian

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
You can't run chrome reverse wheels on your '67 unless you "jack up" the car. Unfortunately "reverse" or "deep dish" wheels are exactly the opposite of what is required to run wider wheels on a Vintage Mustang. They move the tire outwards beyond the edge of the fender/quarter panel lips and every time you hit a bump the fender lip will cut into the tire.
On a '67 you may be able to use the narrower '65/'66 rear end and gain some tire clearance.
And I'm old enough to know quite well what a chrome reverse wheel is.

·
Premium Member
12,926 Posts
You can't run chrome reverse wheels on your '67 unless you "jack up" the car. Unfortunately "reverse" or "deep dish" wheels are exactly the opposite of what is required to run wider wheels on a Vintage Mustang. They move the tire outwards beyond the edge of the fender/quarter panel lips and every time you hit a bump the fender lip will cut into the tire.
On a '67 you may be able to use the narrower '65/'66 rear end and gain some tire clearance.
And I'm old enough to know quite well what a chrome reverse wheel is.
^^^^^^^^^ this.

OP, do you have a plan B. Here's an idea if you want to stay with a look used by tens of thousands way back when, but more rare these days;

Plain steel wheels painted Argent with black lug nuts look pretty good, and A LOT of guys (and gals) were running them on the early Mustangs back in the day, including me, then and now. On my '65 K code I used 15 x 6 Ford steel wheels, which you can get in most salvage yards for $20 each, and a set of Avon CR6ZZ tires, Simple and functional. Last two photos are with 215/60-15 tires, but next time I'm going to try to use 215/70-15 for more sidewall.

Z

Attachments

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I wouldn’t get too hung up on the name reverse and deep dish. If you like the looks of the wheels just follow what 2nd 66 said, it’s all about getting the correct backspace and width. It may not look as deep dish, in fact it’ll look like the wheels in Z‘s post above, just chrome and with baby moons. I’ve seen them on Mustang’s they look decent enough - if you like the look go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree "reverse" is just a term. I"m talking just chrome rims & baby moons. I loved them in the 60s & still do. I"m just not sure what width wheels & if they should be 2 different widths (front & rear) I would post pics of my car if I knew how, but being old & computer illiterate, it seems complicated LOL

·
Premium Member
12,926 Posts
".........I"m just not sure what width wheels & if they should be 2 different widths (front & rear) ....."
The wheels certainly CAN BE different widths on the front and rear, if that's what you want. There's more room at the rear for wider wheels. But you have to ask yourself if that staggered look is appealing to you, or not. Personally, I think it looks out of place except at the drag strip. Away from the drag strip it's juvenile posing (too harsh??). That may be a minority view. And of course, having different wheel widths precludes you being able to rotate the tires effectively, if that matters to you.

Z

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
When you purchase your chrome wheels. make sure that they accept the smaller "baby moon" cap. If you look the pictures Z posted, you'll see in the first four, the cap mounts over the stamped tabs on the outer side of the raised section of the wheel center. The wheels on the red FB have no tabs. I believe that is a wheel that the baby moon will mount into. It has to snap into the raised section, not over it. Maybe Z can let you know which Ford vehicles used that wheel. If it's an aftermarket wheel, make sure to specify which one you want.

·
Registered
217 Posts
When I bought my 67 coupe it was set up as a street racer. I've pretty much got it back to stock except for the wheels. Right now it has 10" wide wheels on the rear & 6" wide wheels on the front. Needless to say, it handles like crap. What I want is old school (cause I'm old, 71) chrome reverse wheels with baby moon caps. What I don't know is what width wheels do I want. Same size all the way around ? Or like 6' in the front & 7' in the rear ? Either way, I'm going with 15' wheels. Any suggestions ?
I also have 10" wheels on the back for a good reason. They didn't make 12" wheels. Yes you will hear people disapproving if you have to raise the rear for clearance. The good news is that so far I haven't lost any sleep over it. :smile2:

Do what you wanna do, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

·
Premium Member
12,926 Posts
When you purchase your chrome wheels. make sure that they accept the smaller "baby moon" cap. If you look the pictures Z posted, you'll see in the first four, the cap mounts over the stamped tabs on the outer side of the raised section of the wheel center. The wheels on the red FB have no tabs. I believe that is a wheel that the baby moon will mount into. It has to snap into the raised section, not over it. Maybe Z can let you know which Ford vehicles used that wheel. If it's an aftermarket wheel, make sure to specify which one you want.
The red FB wheels are Ford wheels, from a '80's Ford van I think, probably were std. equiptment on other '80's Fords as well. The backspacing was the same as the '60's wheel photo, 3 7/8", and the fit with 215's was great. Could've gone taller and a little wider. But definitely not '60's era as Rhutt points out. The local boneyards have been picked clean of anything 60's long long ago.

Z

1 - 20 of 23 Posts