Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, it's going to be a while before I get new tires and rims for my car but every bit of info I can get is good. I was curious what everyone has been able to fit under their cars. I'm almost certain the car has the stock springs in it. My plans are for torque thrust II's in size 15x7, 15x8, or 16x8 in the front and possibly 10 inches wide in the rear. If your combo fits well, performs well, and doesnt stick out more than a half inch past the fender lip I'd love to hear it. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I'm currently using 235/45 17"s all around with a 17x8 4.5" backspacing rim with absolutely no problems. At last years Knotts show I saw a car with the VIntage Wheel Works Torque Thrust D's (16x8" 4.5" backspacing) it had 245's in the front and 275's in the rear and looked very nice (no tire sticking out etc.) the driver said that the fronts rubbed at the fender lip at full steering lock but gave him no problem during everyday driving. I bought a pair of 17x9.5" rims w/ 6" backspacing and trial fitted them in the rear...they look like they'll fit great. Unfortunately I have not been able to justify the expense of buying tires lately so I haven't got to test for max width tire fitment...but I am planning to go with a 275/40 or 275/50 (Nitto is the only one making this size it seems) when my 235's wear out. Anyway, I think that 275's on a 9.5" rim with 6" backspacing would be a conservative way to go for the rear. I actually think that you could get a little more tire in there but I'm worried about the sharp sheet metal protrusion where the rear axle bumpstop is in the wheelwell (check your wheel well and I think you'll see what I mean) remember that the axle does deflect sideways under hard cornering I think going larger than 6" backspacing with any larger than a 275 section tire might get you perilously close to that sheet metal "knife" when the car starts moving around. On the front side of the rim 3.5" takes up all the clearance so I think max wheel for the back is 9.5" with 6" backspacing. From my experience an 8" rim with 4.5" backspacing is the biggest you can have on the front (I have tried this in 15" and 17" wheel diameters) and the largest tire cross section with no clearance problems is a 235. Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have Center line wheels 15x8.5 inches on the rear. The offset is around 4.8" I believe. I have 275/50/15 drag radials on them and they seem to clear the fender lip all together(It is REALLLLL close though)

Full Throttle
http://homepages.go.com/~ful_throttle/fullthrottle.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I run 16x7 w/225/50/16's with a 4" back space in front
and 16x8 w 245/50/16 with a 4-7/8" back space in rear fits great no rubbing even in hard cornering you can see them on my 70 on my site below

[color:red]Email</font color=red> [email protected]
[color:blue]WebSite</font color=blue>http://nitmare.stangnet.com
[color:green]Bay area Mustang Assoc.</font color=green>http://bama.4mg.com
/forums/images/icons/cool.gif Nitmare

1 - 4 of 4 Posts