Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, long time no post...
Has anyone ever heard of someone widening their wheels? I love my keystone klassic rims, but they are just not as wide as I'd like in the back. I am wondering if there are ways to widen my existing wheels, or if i have to try to find some wider keystones, (or worse, switch and buy different rims). Also how wide do you think I should go? I really have no idea how wide is good enough, I just know I need more traction back there, cuz right now I'm just slippin...
Thanks a lot in advance,
Kevin

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have actually heard of this. Try some searches for racing wheels. I believe that circle track guys used to do this, but I can't recall.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
One option would be buy different (wider) tires, if you are running fairly narrow ones, like P205.

I dont believe its actually possible to widen existing wheels - and no matter how good you are with a welder, probably best not to try!

If you really need more traction, go with very good quality tires, or bite the bullet and buy new rims (like i did! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif)

Either way, good luck!

Gary

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
It can be done but I can not remember where an older friend had it done. He had some stock chevy rims done for his narrowed rear end.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen this done only on stock steel rims. No problems. We had VW rims split into thirds and widened. Put them on a sand rail.

On Keystone Klassics? Not likely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts