Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very slight wobble in the passenger side rear wheel on my 66 coupe. It is pretty hard to notice unless you are looking for it, and are looking at the treads of the tire, then you can see a slight wobble in the tire. I am not sure what would cause this, so are there any ideas/solutions? My only guesses would be uneven mounting surface for the wheel, or those stupid little lowering block things, because they have been kicked a little off-center by the torque.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
1. bent wheel
2. bad tire
3. bent axle

whichever the reason.....check it out asap!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Are you feeling a vibration from the tire? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to determine what's off, put the rear end up on jackstands. Remove the hubcap (if you have one), and put something next to the hub so you can steady a pencil, screwdriver, or what have you. have someone put the car in low gear and idle the engine while you hold the pencil steady at the hub {be careful, please). It is easy to tell if the axle is bent when you do this. Next, move the pencil out to the rim and again use it to see if the wheel is running true. If both of these are showing no wobble, it's the tire.

I recently had to replace a Michelin on my wife's car because the tread was about 3/16" off. I couldn't tell it when it was on the back, but when I rotated the tires and put it on the front, it gave the steering wheel a wobble at slow speeds. I got Michelin to warranty the tire. Good Luck!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys, I will try to do some of the suggested tests today and figure out where the problem is.

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts