Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
The Bilstien shocks made the biggest difference for me on wheel hop. Started out with stock springs. SD 4.5 mid eyes with SD under-ride traction bars, better. SD 4.5 mid eyes with SD under-ride traction bars and Bilstien shocks, better yet. Global West reverse eye springs with Del-a-lum bushings without the traction bars seem to be even better, but not a cure, as I've only been able to test in 45º global warming temperatures in the formerly arctic North. Leaf springs are going to wheel hop by design. Thats what they do. I've never heard of anyone autocrossing with Caltracs?

The rubber bushings on my SD version of the Traction master bars were oval shaped after one season of autocross. Probably a solution for the weekend car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I bought my 67 coupe, 390, 4 speed car it had old school slapper bars on it. I personally don't like the look, so I removed them. I guess they really do work, because even with new 5 leaf springs, the wheel hop was now violent! Ponied up for the Caltracs and problem is solved. So, if you like the slapper bar look, there's your cheap & easy answer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice set of rear shocks and 5-leaf 185lbs rear springs are decent for a small block. Since you're running a 331 that's moderately built, this may not be enough on its own and you may have to resort to traction bars.

Easy to fabricate from tubular steel; pretty expensive for what they are though to buy.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts