Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looking for opinions on which wheels I should get:

This will be for a 67fb magnetic gray: Currently being prepped for paint.

17x8 rear
17x7 front

Riddler650

AR Rodder

USMAGS Rambler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the are 4.5 backspace.

But which rims should I get!! They are all similar but yet different. Lol

·
Registered
553 Posts
The one from Jegs looks best.

I would recommend that largest you could fit under the car..

17x8 - 4.75 bs on all 4 corners

Or

17x8 - 4.75 bs front
17x9.5 - 6 bs rear

Sent from the interwebs

·
Registered
413 Posts
I run a staggered setup - 17x7 w/ 205/50/17 in the front and 17x8 w/ 235/45/17 in the rear. I did this mostly because my car is manual steering and I didn't want too wide of a tire in the front.

Of those wheels, I like the 2nd one the best.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have the 17x8 Ramblers on my 66 FB, with 225/45 on the front and 245/45 on the rear. I ended up painting the wheels in a matte black. No pics on my work laptop, I will have to post one later.

·
Dimples
3,455 Posts
Whats your suspension setup?
Arming drop, 1 inch lowering springs with another half coil cut off, bigger sway bar and the improved performance spring saddles that probably aren’t as good as roller perches but way better than stock. And some crappy KYBs.

Edit: forgot to mention the rear. Some old Mustangs Plus standard eye 4.5(?) leafs with 2inch lowering blocks. Would not recommend those, but it’s what I’ve got.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Curious why 8 wide up front. My last 67fb I had 8 and it was very very close. I was told by a wheel company that 7 would bring in half inch, so you would have more of a tucked look. Not sure what to do on size up front yet.

Any black 17s concave wheels at there?

·
Registered
296 Posts
My opinion is that contrast with a slightly lighter color than what you posted will look fantastic on our cars. Check out @BlakeTX photos (yes, I'm still jealous). The lighter gray wheels contrast nicely with the tires and the paint. It's why I went with my wheels as well even though my paint color is a lot lighter than Blake's or your magnetic gray. That said, I like the style of the second (American Racing) or third (US Mags) wheel over the Jegs. With all things on these cars, though, it's really your opinion that matters.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Curious why 8 wide up front. My last 67fb I had 8 and it was very very close. I was told by a wheel company that 7 would bring in half inch, so you would have more of a tucked look. Not sure what to do on size up front yet.

'cause wider is better :shrug: even when tucked

05+ Bullitts 1.5" adapter 17x8x4.75 225/45/17 could have gone with a wider tire but got these for free :shrug:

·
Registered
553 Posts

Wider is better as stated above. Assuming you’re trying to take corners...

Backspacing (or offset) is another factor to consider. More expensive wheels usually have a few backspace/offset choices for a given wheel diameter and width combo.

Your wheel company isnt wrong in saying that a narrower wheel would give you that tucked look, it’s just not the whole truth. An 8” wheel with a different backspace/offset can achieve the same, or nearly the same results.

Early mustangs generally have very limited real estate under the front fenders, especially for the 65-66, so it’s safer to recommend a narrower wheel. And I would guess that your wheel company doesn’t offer different backspace/offset for given diameter/width combos.

Sent from the interwebs

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The selection of wheels seem so slim unless you want to drop some dollars.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts