Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of putting 18X9 FR500 replica wheels on the front of my 1970 mustang convertible and 18X10 on the back. The back space on the front is 6.18 and the back space for the rear is 6.37. Just wondering if anyone knows what size wheel spacers I will need to make these work? I'm thinking 1.5 in the front and maybe .75 in the rear. The rearend is out of a Lincoln Versialle so it ir about .75 narrower than a stock rearend so I might have to go 1 out back. Want to go with Nitto G2's 295/40X18 and 255/45X18 tires. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Dimples
3,516 Posts
That’s an unusual combo with some equally unusual stipulations (like the narrower rear).

I don’t think you’re going to find anyone with any real world experience on this one. You’re just going to have to pull the trigger and experiment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually one of the links in your search showed a 69 Mach with the wheels I want. If they work with that, they should work with my 1970. Guess I'll take my chances. Tires might be too big, we'll see.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Here's what my brain says: I have 6.75" backspace on 18x9.5 in back. I clear the lip and am about 1/2" or so from the leaf spring. Your 18x10 would make up the difference between my 6.75 and your 6.37. But your 1/2" narrower so it will still be close.
Sooooo maybe a 1/2 -3/4" spacer?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's what my brain says: I have 6.75" backspace on 18x9.5 in back. I clear the lip and am about 1/2" or so from the leaf spring. Your 18x10 would make up the difference between my 6.75 and your 6.37. But your 1/2" narrower so it will still be close.
Sooooo maybe a 1/2 -3/4" spacer?
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You're welcome! :cool:

Front
18x9 (+24 offest/5.94" backspace) FR500 from OE Wheels:
Mustangs to Fear Mustang II front suspension
2" hub centric spacer
255/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Rear
18x10 (+22 offset/6.37" backspace) FR500 from OE wheels:
Factory width 9" with 3/8" hub centric slip over spacers.
295/35/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts

Front
2" hub centric spacer

Rear

Hope this helps!
Looks damn good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
2" hub centric spacer
That sounds like a big spacer/adapter to me. Is the MTF suspension shorter from hub to hub compared to stock? Most people that I see use 99-04 wheels is fine with 1.00-1.25".

Also, do you have any more pictures? :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
That sounds like a big spacer/adapter to me. Is the MTF suspension shorter from hub to hub compared to stock? Most people that I see use 99-04 wheels is fine with 1.00-1.25".

Also, do you have any more pictures? :)
You can def run a smaller adapter like those you mentioned, however I like my wheel placement as wide as possible for a wider track. Not a fan of the sucked in front wheel look. I've ran 2" spacers before on other vehicles with no issues. Def adds slightly more stress on the bearings but these cars aren't driven daily. I def wouldn't do it unless the adapters are hub-centric! Adapters are very common on off-road/rock crawlers and if they hold up under that abuse I'm not really worried about it.

I do believe the Mustang II suspension inherently decreases track width slightly. I don't know the exact amount off the top of my head.

You looking for wheel related pics or just the car in general?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all, I'm feeling a lot better about this choice. Thanks for the pictures 70coyotestang.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wheel related pics mostly. I have a 69 and I'm interested in what the FR500 wheels look like on a 69/70. Generals pics is always interesting too, but they might not fit this thread. :)
Fair enough, that's why I asked. (y)

I'll take some pics over the weekend. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Front
2" hub centric spacer

Rear

Hope this helps!
Man that car looks geat, are your fender lips rolled?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Man that car looks geat, are your fender lips rolled?
Yes they are. Though honestly where the FR500 wheels sit now it wouldn't be necessary. I previously had some 18x10.5 wheels on the back and were a lot closer to the lips.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts