Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
thanks - so would you recommend starting with hoosier bias tires to get a good feel (not expensive) or street radials or street-track radials (toyo r888)?

·
Spammer Hammer
9,548 Posts
I agree with Mark, if you have never been on the track start with street radials. You will kill them the first season (or less), but you will get a feel for how your car handles and what your confront levels are. If you already have seat time then I see nothing wrong with going vintage bias ply. I would recommend against a sticky track radial if your plan is to learn how to drive on a vintage bias ply. It’s completely different.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have a good bit of track time in 2008 corvette Z06 with really aggressive street tires (michelin super sports) and track brake pads. I have never been off track or spun - i find that set up very controllable, but probably only driving at "8 tenths" of car's capability. I actually am building this 65 mustang because the Z06 is too fast for my liking on the track. i would like the sound and fun of a vintage mustang track car, but not looking to compete yet. The idea of 4 wheel drifiting on bias tires sounds like fun, but i dont trust my skill level, so i thought the predictability of a radial might be safer. I want to go with whatever is safer with a car that is not fully sorted yet. not willing to go with standard BFG radial T/As because those wont have any traction at all.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Are you limiting yourself to a 15" tire for a reason? Spec? Vintage racing requirement? A 17" would allow you to go to a 4.75" bs and easily run a 235/45 or a 245/40 on all corners without issue.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts