Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started restoring a 68 mustang and I am in need of some guidence. I am perplexed about finding the correct wheels for a 68 coupe. Is there someone who can steer me in the right direction? I would prefer mag wheels but I want to restore car as close to original as possible. The car presently has 5 lug wheels. Would mags be considered OE?
or should I clean up the wheels I have and buy replacements for the hub caps which are original but dinged up?
Thanks for any imput.

Michael

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Magnums were not available in 68, but there are some other nice wheels--styled-steel or the wire rims. It depends on how original you want to be, and what your car has.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you want to be original then you need to consider the styled steel wheel that was available in 1968. But if you want a mag style wheel there is the Cragar S/S, American Racing Torque Thrust, etc. It is all a matter of personal choice.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.
This is going to be my first project, and I really want to try and restore as close to orginal as possible.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
If you don't know what was on your car originally, and want to be original to how it was, contact Kevin Marti at Marti Autoworks. For about $18 you can get a copy of what came on your car originally. All you need to provide him is your VIN.

www.martiauto.com

I'm the original owner of my 1968 coupe, but forgot that the car originally had 7.35x14 tires. I sent for one of Kevin's basic reports and then had to buy five new tires to replace the 6.95 repros I had. Fortunately, a member of my club needed the 6.95s so we worked out a trade that was good for both of us. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts