Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright theres already a million post about wheels but I am in need of some help, bought a 66 coupe looking at putting wheels and tires on once i get the money but im going for the wider stance so im looking at 18x9 in the front and 18x10 in the back will these fit what could i do to make them fit ext...... Thank you in advance

·
Dimples
3,863 Posts
Those widths won’t fit without fender flares and/or a mini tub in the rear. 65-66 cars are limited to 8in width. You have lots of research to do.

Also, while possible, 18’s is a lot for these cars. They are just built at a different scale than newer cars, and 18’s will necessitate super short sidewalls. I’ve seen it done well before, but that would be the exception, not the rule.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
No offense, but it sounds like you've been watching Car TV shows. Be aware almost nothing is real on those shows. Putting 18" wheels on a '66 Coupe is less than optimal. The suspension was not designed for it. (And, in my opinion, it looks quite ridiculous.)

Are you building a "TV Show" type car which is tubbed with a multi-link rear, coil overs up front and a subframe? Or, are you simply wanting to build a restomod? Please let us know what you want to do with your Mustang and we can provide suggestions.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The wheel back spacing plays a very large role in the "will it fit without rubbing" equation. As a data point, 8" wide 17" diameter wheels with 4.75" backspacing tend to be most likely to fit without issues. Not every wheel is made with that back spacing so you might find your self looking at custom wheels ($$$) or limiting your pool of selections with the right dimensions. Note further that every modification over the past 50 years including collision repairs done poorly may impact the fit of a particular wheel/tire combo. Lastly, the F70 x 14 Wide Oval tires (the big tires in their day) originally offered with '67 models did not fit well from the factory. My folks bought a new '67 with both the Wide Ovals and the exterior decor group (stainless wheel opening moldings) and from day one had to deal with tire/fender scraping.

·
Premium Member
5,950 Posts
I'm just gonna call it like I see it. "Kid bought" and a Honda logo say it all. You want the wheels to be a major focus, and they will be clown shoes on a classic. You may not believe this, but the closer you can get it to original the more admiring looks and comments you'll get. I know this to be true and I say you should snap out of it. Welcome to VMF! :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Ahhh sweet, another 18s fan:). I run 18x8s on all four corners with 225/40-18 with 4.75" backspacing. I could with slightly wider tires but I need to look at how much. Here's the trick to 18s (and don't listen to the haters), you need to nail the stance. While a smaller wheel with a fatter sidewall can handle being a bit higher, 18s require a lowered car with the perfect stance (not slammed, just lowered) so make sure your suspension is set up for it. This is the best pic I have right now (I have another but can't find it right now). Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
As has been pointed out, it is more than any single issue to get ANY oversized wheel/tire to fit on these old Mustangs. The wheel wells are narrow: widen the wells and now you need wheels with more back space. Add backspace and suddenly the springs are in the way. Move/replace springs and if you go very wide frame rails are in the way. Not attempting to be discouraging, just trying to point out don't look for a single answer.
I am going with 17" on my 65 but I currently have it set on a set of 18x8s from a 2015 Mustang with 275 tires. The path to get here? Slight mini tub, rolled fenders,coil springs instead of leaf springs. 20190628_101253.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
781 Posts
I like it so give us some details on the suspension/tire package...
The suspension is TCP coilovers front with TCP g-bar rear. I think it lowers the car around 2" and I've made some final adjustments with the coilovers themselves. The tires are Nitto Invos and the wheels are HRE 563s, but they don't make them anymore.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
I think you're taking the phrase "build it from the ground up" wrong.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I run 18x8s on all four corners with 225/40-18 with 4.75" backspacing. I could with slightly wider tires but I need to look at how much. Here's the trick to 18s (and don't listen to the haters), you need to nail the stance.
I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm a "hater," but I'm not really a fan of BIG oversized wheels and tires. I think they make most cars look like a donk from the ghetto or a clown-car. But xj220, I will say your car looks really good with those 18's. You nailed the stance. AND, it looks like you have BIG brakes behind those wheels - also necessary IMO when putting larger wheels on a car - nothing looks worse than seeing tiny little brake rotors behind a big wheel.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Thank you! I was mostly joking with the "hater" talk as style really is subjective and everyone likes to razz each other;). I do have big brakes and that is my favorite look of big wheels with massive brakes right behind them. They're Baer 6P with 14" rotors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts