Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
19,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. I don't really like "big" wheels. Never really liked black wheels either. But now I've run across a deal I can make for these. I said I'd have to mock them up and stare at them for a bit before I decided. So i moved more stuff than I care to describe so I could get a decent view. That's a low miles 1985 5.0 GT engine sitting at the right front wheel. I wasn't feeling quite energetic enough to move that. The rears aren't exactly where I want them because the car has a narrow rear end. To use these I'd have to put the stock width rear in. Which I was planning to do anyway. Weird custom offset rear wheels are for the birds. The fronts look pretty good even though they are up against the upper ball joints.

Not showing are the tire widths. Rears are 285/35/18. Replacing 295/50/15's they look just as wide. I forget the fronts. Narrower 35/18's but still look nice and wide.
I may just have to go with these. Not sure about the chrome allen bolts though. I may remove those or replace them with black ones.

Anybody know what spacers people run when using stock 2001 Mustang wheels? Neither these wheels nor my car are stock but that would give me a starting point.
I forgot to wash off the left front. These came off a freshly (non-insured) totalled GT.

Temporary slapped together right side. (Yes I know there's too much crap in my garage) :)

·
Registered
9,887 Posts

·
Dimples
3,516 Posts
I have to agree that black wheels aren’t my favorite either, but a polished lip can help with that. Add in the fake rivets or whatever, and I would call this set a solid pass. Keep looking

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
I think they look ok
actually the 18's come in a bit shorter
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revolutions Speedometer Odometer Difference
285/35-18 3.9" 12.9" 25.9" 81.2" 780/mi 60MPH 10000mi N/A
295/50-15 5.8" 13.3" 26.6" 83.6" 758/mi 58MPH 9714mi 2.9%
Tire size calculator

·
Administrator
19,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can always have them powder coated whatever color you want.
DOH! Come to think of it, I've got a buddy who runs a powder coating shop. Why didn't I think of that? Really thinking about keeping them now.

·
Administrator
19,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't care about the rears for the time being. Until I prep the other eight inch (or decide to freshen up the nine inch, hmmm) I'll just run the other wheels. I would like to space the fronts like stock so I can tweak or bash the front flares while the car is still in bodywork mode. I've made my own "spacers" by cutting pipe into five sized slices at a time and a bunch of trial and error. Which is kind of annoying. Some of the thinner spacers don't cost too terribly much, might just guesstimate and roll the dice.

·
Administrator
19,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope. Same thing. Cut and measure over and over until I arrived at the conclusion that one of these wheels needs replacing. Cracked AND bent. Local place that repairs such gave me an estimate of $175. A brand new wheel with shipping is a tad less than that. So.

I did finally figure out regular 1/2" spacers will do me on the front. No big deal but the lugs surely won't reach so I finally have to break down and buy longer wheel lugs. That don't exist for my rotors so I get to ream the holes out some. OK. But holy crap, ARP is asking like $12 a lug! So I have to pay $120 for a handful of wheel bolts? Looking for alternatives there.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Maybe adapters would work better for this application instead of spacers?
I think 2nd 66 has mentioned he uses an adapter, hopefully he will chime back in on this one.

·
Administrator
19,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yah, none at the 1/2" width. Odd that you can get extended lugs for rear axles for like a quarter of what front lugs cost. If I have to pop for ARP's then so be it. The pricing just caught me by surprise and I didn't budget that high. Think I'll hold off until I bash an old stud out and take a micrometer to it. It's possible Moroso may have some rather lower priced without being life-endangeringly cheaply made.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts