Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started driving a newly rebuilt 302. How many miles do I have to put on it before I can beat on it? Thanks - chris

·
Registered
501 Posts
IMMHO Minimum 1k, but better to wait until 3k.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Here is the rule of thumb that I use. Run the brake-in oil for a half an hour at 2K RPM. This should be done when you start the car for the first time. Gradually take it up to 2K RPM and hold it there. Or take it for a drive on the HWY for at least a half an hour. Change the oil and after your next oil change at least 3000 miles. Then you can open it up.
Brent

·
Registered
977 Posts
Here is the rule of thumb that I use. Run the brake-in oil for a half an hour at 2K RPM. This should be done when you start the car for the first time. Gradually take it up to 2K RPM and hold it there. Or take it for a drive on the HWY for at least a half an hour. Change the oil and after your next oil change at least 3000 miles. Then you can open it up. My dad works for Scientific Research Lab at Ford so I know this one. He used to run engines for a living but he was promoted about three years ago. Just my advice, have fun.
Brent

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Looks like you have a roller cam motor. In 85 (first year of the roller cam Mustangs) Ford recomend 500 miles break in. I've seen dyno shops run a motor for 30 min before they do hard pulls. Not sure of the logic. Flat tappet cams take longer. Of couse, it is your car and if you break it, you go to deal with it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guy!

·
Registered
522 Posts
1 hour break in, 1500 - 2000 RPM do not stay on same RPM.
Than, what I did through my racing, and every gearhead will say, "How u ran it first, that's how the engine will perform"
I always run it after 1h break in hard.
It will take me a lots of 1/4 mile runs to make 500 miles...LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts