Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 convert that does not have rear seat belts. Did all 65's comes with rear seatbelts or what? I cannot find any trace of the car having rear seatbelts.
Thanks,
David

·
Registered
238 Posts
Safety equipment was phased into automobile production during the 1960's. Cars built for sale in 1966 (debuted fall of 1965) were required to have lap seat belts for the 2 rear seating positions. Incidentally the 1966 models also had to have 4 way warning flashers, backup lights and windshield wipers had to have a low and high speed. 1965 models had to have lap seat belts for outboard positions up front and a uniform automatic transmission shift quadrant (PRNDL) if so equipped. In 1965 lap belts were probably an option in the rear.

·
Registered
402 Posts
>>Incidentally the 1966 models also had to have 4 way warning flashers

Are you sure about that? I'm not the expert, but I've always been under the impression that it was an option, not a standard feature for 66. I have a Sprint 200, thus is does have them as part of the package so I've never really paid much attention to them from the standard/option standpoint.

Just trying to learn, please correct me if I'm wrong! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif]

SprintCC

·
Registered
699 Posts
Are you sure about the flasher? I think it was standard.
The 1966 reproduction manual that I own, mentions this as a new 66 standard feature/improvement to the 65 model... .

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Seat belts were in cars in Canada at least in the mid fifties. We had a 56 Ford Fairlane and a Dodge Custom Royal, both had seatbelts front and rear as well as padded dashs. I do not think it was an option , if it was no one would have ordered them.
Don

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was a teenager in 1966 and followed auto engineering modifications in the magazines (Motor Trend, etc). 4 way hazard flashers were required as I saw this in new 1966 vehicles sitting on the auto dealers lot. New 1965 vehicles did not have 4 way hazard flashers that you found on the dealer's inventory. Lots of negative comments back then about the forced cost increases by the manufacturers due to mandated safety equipment on vehicles built for sale in the US. Most manufacturers in 1966 placed the 4 way hazard switch in a location that was an afterthought. Ford placed it in the glove box; I believe some others might have placed it on or under the dash. In 1967 most manufacturers moved the hazard switch to the passenger side of the steering column. That made engineering sense since all the connections for left side, right side and front and rear turn signal lights were conveniently located under the steering wheel with the turn signal switch.

·
Registered
674 Posts
2 speed wipers were also an Option in 66
I wish mine had them. I was thinking of trying to put modern intermintent wipers in my 66. Im sure it would be a pain.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Rear seat belts were an option in '65, standard equipment in '66. If they were not ordered on the '65, you will, as you've already seen, see no trace of them. No holes, no anchors, .... nothing. The holes were drilled and the anchors welded in ONLY if the rear belts were ordered on all '65's (including the 64.5, since they are really '65's).

All '66 and later Mustangs will have holes and anchors welded in for rear belts. If the belts on them don't exist, it's becuase they were removed by a PO.

·
Registered
121 Posts
4 way emergency flashers were standard issue for '66 mustangs. They were optional for '65 Mustangs.
Front and rear seat belts were standard for '66 Mustangs. They were optional for '65 Mustangs. HOWEVER!-I came across a '66 Mustang 2+2 that had front seat belts but no rear seat belts. I looked at the rear floor pans. There were NO holes whatsoever for them! And what I saw I believe were original floor pans. Must have been an early '66 2+2??
2 speed wipers were optional for both '65 and '66 Mustangs.
Back-up lights were standard for '66 Mustangs. They were optional for '65 mustangs.
Driver side view mirror was standard for '66 Mustnags, optional for '65 Mustangs. That is all.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Sounds like typical Ford: Exceptions to the norm exist.

I've found out in '65 some Mustangs with the hazard light option had the switch mounted under the LH side of the dash in the curious D shaped hole I've seen in all the '65's I've owned. So, that is where I end up installing mine when I slap them in.

How's that for a run on? *G*

Dean T

1 - 11 of 11 Posts