Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every time I find someone to buy some used parts from, they're asking 75% or more of what it would cost me to just buy it from Summit. Maybe I'm just a cheapskate, but if I can get a new cam for 245 with a warranty then why would I pay 180 for a used one. I found the perfect set of wheels and the guy wanted $1050 for what I could buy new for $1200. I've always tried to offer 50% of what new cost is and a little more for high demand/low wear n tear items. Guys are nearly offended at my offers.

Anyone else have an opinion on this? Am I just so old that I think batteries should cost $40 new and cams are $100?

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
I wish parts were low cost, but I don't see it happening unless there is a significant recession. People just like these car too much and so drive all related prices through the roof.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I see it more and more with all kinds of stuff myself.
If you bought the wrong thing or just didn't use it you can either eat it, sit on it or sell it cheap to move it on. If you used it and didn't like it you should feel lucky to get 1/2 what you paid for your mistake!

·
Registered
272 Posts
When you buy used parts it's a gamble I've found it's almost always better to buy new .just do some research for the parts that your looking to make sure it's what you want for the application and performance intended for so you don't waste your money and time.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Welcome to the internet! Before the "window to the world" was around price comparison was difficult. Now you pop up your smart phone and in seconds have a plethora of prices including used parts that sold. Now a seller wants to get more for his than the last similar one that sold so the prices are constantly rising! There are absolutely STUPID prices out there like $24 for an original air cleaner wing nut or $1499 for a set of 16 USED header bolts! All thanks to the internet.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Everything has gone up. Have you priced a new car lately ? I hear what you are saying. You just have to shop around to get a decent deal. Junk yards are still the cheapest option if you are willing to do some work .

·
Registered
117 Posts
It depends more on the parts these days. I remember when speed parts hovered in the 50% range (that was still a good deal) but like said above I think the quality of some parts and the ability to sell to the world through the internet has changed things dramatically. Specialized speed parts can still occasionally be found for 50% on the dollar but nearly new used parts that can be used on a wide variety of cars or builds? You are paying 75%+

And honestly why shouldn't someone selling a quality nearly new used part get 75% of their money back?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Something is worth what someone is willing to pay. Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it does not to buy used. I cannot imagine buying a used cam, even in the world of roller cams.

I screwed up a few years ago and bought the wrong Canton oil pickup. Given the time that passed before I tried to install it, I could not return it. The package was opened, but it never saw oil. Why should that be half the price of one without the broken plastic shrink wrap. If I were looking for one I would gladly save $10 on an "open box" part from a guy vs going to Summit. It is on ebay and some will buy it. For my mistake I will be out $10-15 + cost of shipping + ebay and paypal fees...hey perhaps I will recover half. BTW if anyone needs a 15-661 pickup for a 351w, I know a guy... :)

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
50% of new cost? So you basically offered $600 for a $1200 set of wheels that are "perfect" by your own description? I think that makes you the ******* here. Sorry.

Nobody is buying new parts for the warranty (if you're smart you won't anyway). You think I'm factoring the warranty into my intake manifold and camshaft purchase? The warranty means little to the new buyer so I don't think it should be factored into the used price depending on the part. Plus, depending on where you buy, there IS a little bit of a warranty situation. Ebay favors buyers and most forums will shame a seller into making things right if a part is obviously defective.

That said, people who make bad purchases and try to recoup are sometimes delusional. I saw a fresh rebuilt 0.060 over 289 with iron heads on Facebook Marketplace for $42xx. He had receipts from his rip-off machine shop. You can get a 347 stroker with aluminum heads that will make 400+ horsepower for that. You know what my solution was? Not to buy it. I don't think anyone else will either.

Which brings me to my final point. Things are worth what people will pay. When I price used items I am not thinking about doing a favor for some cheapskate who only wants to pay 50% of new. I'm trying to get the maximum I can get and I'll start high and work my way down- ads are editable on pretty much every platform. If I hit that 50% of new equilibrium, so be it. But I'm not starting there.

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
"cost of shipping + ebay and paypal fees"

This drives the price up as well. The internet cuts both ways, the seller gets a much wider market, but has to pay quite a bit for that access.

At the end of the day if you want a part you are likely going to have to the going rate (as much as that hurts sometimes) - occasionally you might get a great deal, but don't count on getting those kind of deals all the time.

Reactions: TheRktmn

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
50% of new cost? So you basically offered $600 for a $1200 set of wheels that are "perfect" by your own description? I think that makes you the ******* here. Sorry.
I figured it was me. I offered $750 but it was not accepted. I'll probably spend the extra $200 and know that if they're wobbly I can get them swapped out. Same goes for the cam, if the journals are off then at least I know I can get it swapped out for a good one. In the meantime, I'll keep looking for them "sweet" deals, lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
"New" for me." I have bought enough of those great priced "Good as new" parts in the past. Even new is shaky these days.
Be glad there are replacement parts for just about anything on a Mustang.

My '48 Chevy sedan delivery, well, any '48 Chevy car has nothing available. Thus used is all there is, and it is usually junk since it is so old. Second part to that is no available parts means insurance is at least three times higher than car with replacement parts. I can't even get a replacement door handle. Plenty for trucks, none for cars.

Why am I here? Looking to replace my "unreplaceable" ride. And getting a feel of what ya'll are going through.

Another consideration is government regulations. You mentioned batteries, I don't know how many regulations have been put on batteries the last 10 years, but that has certainly driven the price up. Yeah, I too wondered what the ______ last time I bought a battery. Now I just bend over.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Saving $10-20 (or even 10-20%) buying a used part isn't worth it. There's too much risk as a buyer because you have no recourse if the part is not what it was purported to be, or if there is any damage or defects.

When I've sold used parts, pricing is a balance of the above, as well as how badly I want the space in the garage back.

Following is a short list of things I've sold over the past year that have been great deals for the buyers because I wanted the stuff gone...
  • Brand New Hedman Headers (#88300) for 65-66 Mustangs, New in the box (only opened to take pictures) - $100 (less than 1/2 the price of Summit Racing)
  • Craftsman 33 gal. Air Compressor, 6 hp. Horizontal Tank - $150 - Over 10 years old, but like new and about 1/3 of cost when new.
  • Variable Speed Free Standing Floor Drill Press - $60 - Probably 30 years old, but worked great.
In all cases, the buyer was happy and I was happy!

Anyway, I'm with copracr. Unless it's a smoking deal, it's a complete waste of time to even look.

One last thought... It doesn't hurt to make a lowball offer. I've asked sellers if their priority is getting their price or getting rid of the item, and just told them "if you want it gone today, I'll give you X for it." Some have politely said "No thanks!" and others have said "Ok." One said, "Ok, but it's gotta be gone by 6:00pm tonight." If you don't ask, you don't get! :)

Reactions: DonP

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
I've gotten and given some great deals on new parts, used parts, NOS parts, and even whole cars. I've also ignored the həLL out of some ridiculously priced stuff and obvious scams. I have had tremendous success with eBay, Craigslist and some swap meets. I don't really fool with Facebook Marketplace or LetGo because I get enough of all the stolen stuff and drama when I'm at work. I even have to stay out of certain Wal-Mart stores to avoid a lot of people I've locked up...
I love a good deal as much as the next guy and I like to know the other guy feels like he's getting a good deal, too.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I will very rarely buy used, unless its an oem part that's just plain better used than a reproduction/replacement.

A few years back I did have a 331 stroker that my machine shop messed up the balance on... badly. I sold it to a guy in texas for more money than I had into it and I wasn't even trying to sell the darn thing. I was just selling the heads and the guy asked what else I had and made an offer I couldn't refuse.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,651 Posts
Many valid views expressed already in this thread. While getting "a deal;" is preferable to "getting fleeced", the fact of the matter is that the seller does not owe you a discount.

Over the years I have seen many people combing CL for deals who then turn around, mark them up to flip them for a profit, and then brag about it. I suggest the low hanging fruit is already gone and the few remaining deals are simply harder to find. Look at the few remaining swap meets if you don't believe me.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,278 Posts
Depending on what it is I'm at the 50% level myself. But if they're asking 1k for a1200 item I just scroll on by. Eventually I'll pay 425$ for a set of 1200$ wheels, patience is required. But when I find the bargain I buy, no haggling.

But I'm also the guy that HATES selling stuff, when I decide to sell I want it gone. I price it accordingly. But I usually won't dicker on it either. The price is the price.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
the trick to buying used parts is looking for deals way before you actually need the part. when you want / or need that part now, every one you find is expensive. if you have patience you can find good deals.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Anytime Im buying a big ticket item I go through a routine.

Timing 1: Its all about timing. When tax returns are hitting the street, first of the month, Fridays, prices go up when people have money in their pockets.

Timing 2: I dont buy anything at swap meets on Friday or Saturday. The best prices are on Sunday close to pack up time.

Used: I bought a used mower for $300 14 years ago, its still humming right along.

Sale: Not the cheesy "Up to 30% off" crap designed to hook and reel you in. I saved $250 at Summit with a coupon and Summit bucks this past month.

Trade: I trade lots of stuff, I just traded some Harley chrome bits for a 2100 and 4100 core.

Cash: Cash is king and cash in hand gets the best deals.

Offers: Make an offer and walk away. I get call backs 1/3-1/2 of the time.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Welcome to the internet! Before the "window to the world" was around price comparison was difficult. Now you pop up your smart phone and in seconds have a plethora of prices including used parts that sold. Now a seller wants to get more for his than the last similar one that sold so the prices are constantly rising! There are absolutely STUPID prices out there like $24 for an original air cleaner wing nut or $1499 for a set of 16 USED header bolts! All thanks to the internet.
I guess it depends upon if one is the buyer or the seller.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts