Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So placed an order, and some of it is on back order. Promised in 3 weeks. Date came and went. Called the 800 number, permanent hold. Sent an email, no response.

2 more months have elapsed.

Other than terrible customer service, what else?

To the Mustang Dealers on who read this site:

Do you have a mechanism in place to screen back orders, and either cancel and refund, or update, and how long will you hold a back order (and the customer's money) without an update and permission to keep the back order open?

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Understand your issue but the vendors i use if it is backordered my credit card is not charged until it ships so if i want the hold they put on my credit limit i can cancel the order on my computer and about 3 days later the hold is gone.

·
Registered
383 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is what your credit card company time period is for refuting charges. I went thru this with Laurel Mt Mustang back in ‘14 when I first started working on my 66FB. I had ordered a new set of horns in late August, after a few weeks I called and was told they are on backorder. This went on for months, finally I decided to call my credit card company, first thing they asked was when was the charge made. When I told them over 4 months ago, they said they cannot do anything. i finally got the horns in May of ‘15. Laurel Mt mustang is out of business now.....wonder why.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I would have canceled that credit card as i do not take crap from them, they provide a service but when they dont its time to give them crap. Since i retired i have had to show them i dont care about what they do to my credit report as some of them dont understand customer service. If i need to use a card my debit card thru visa will suffice.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Your credit card is not to be charged until the order is shipped unless it is a special order item. I've been through that with the vender that shows up first on Google.

Reactions: FrankieThe69Kid

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Call the CC company. Ask if you've been charged. If you have, then dispute the charge. If you haven't then call the supplier as if you were to place an order and tell the sales rep to cancel yours. If they ask if they can put you on hold or transfer the call to another dept., say "No. Leave the phone off the hook and go get someone who's qualified to cancel the order if you're not. I'll wait and listen."
Might not work, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Reminds me I have to call NPD on my back order. I bought a kit which gave me all of the parts for 1967 back up lens assembly. They charged me and sent me all of the kit components except the lenses themselves. It's been about 2 months and haven't heard anything.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
More than a week or so with no communication and I’d call the CC company and have them reverse the charge.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
... If i need to use a card my debit card thru visa will suffice.
Your debit card has ZERO protection. It is like sending someone cash in the mail. Once you hit send it is gone. Also, if that number is stolen, your bank account can be drained with little recourse. I reserve my debit card for those times I need some cash from the ATM.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Reminds me I have to call NPD on my back order. I bought a kit which gave me all of the parts for 1967 back up lens assembly. They charged me and sent me all of the kit components except the lenses themselves. It's been about 2 months and haven't heard anything.
Have you actually called them? Their customer service is very good.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I touched base with the debit card people that i use at 3 dif banks and they have my back if my card or card information gets stolen or mis used and i am protected as well if not more so than using a credit card!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Most debit cards now have many of same protections as credit cards if they are mastercard or visa debit cars. Never allow backorder to go on for more than month if credit card is charged. You still can get refunds but it becomes a lot harder.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
So placed an order, and some of it is on back order. Promised in 3 weeks. Date came and went. Called the 800 number, permanent hold. Sent an email, no response.

Do you have a mechanism in place to screen back orders, and either cancel and refund, or update, and how long will you hold a back order (and the customer's money) without an update and permission to keep the back order open?
here is some good information for you straight from the horses mouth, so t speak;

·
Registered
343 Posts

So who is or was the vendor?

IMO and from being in previous retail environments (both from the procurement and selling perspective), most back orders are fulfilled within a 2-3 week time frame (sometimes sooner). If a back order cannot be fulfilled due to supplier issues, their inventory issues, overseas issues, lack of materials, usually the Retailer will cancel their order with that supplier.

Remember, the Retailer is also loosing money - because in many instances Retailers are on a PO basis. That PO can be cash or credit. The Retailers that pay cash usually get a better deal than those who pay credit. Retailers who pay on credit are usually on a 30, 60 or 90 day plan - meaning, the better their actual credit or rapport with their supplier, the better chances there are for them being able to pay their PO later..

With that said - if the Retailer orders stock (new or existing), they are out thousands of $$$$ if that supplier does not come through.

In an instance of a back order that cannot be filled with a Customer, the Retailer in many instances will refund the customer 100%.

Be sure to read any Retailer’s fine print with regards to refunds, layaways, rain checks, pre-pays, shipping fees, etc. Not every retailer will refund 100% based on their conditions set forth.

The OP’s CC should not have been charged until the Retailer had the item in inventory and was able to ship. Even if the item was going to be dropped shipped, the Retailer would still be informed by the drop-shopper IF that item was actually in their stock to sell/ship.

At this point, the OP should call their Bank (holder of their card) OR Credit Card company and request a refund. The refund won’t be instant; the CC Co or Bank will investigate the claim and if they cannot get a response from the Vendor, then the CC Co or Bank will complete the claim and refund the Customer’s money.

Many Banks these days do have the same fraud protection if the Customer has a Bank Debit/Credit Card (a dual use card). So I don’t think the OP will be out any money in the end.

Don’t wait to report it - the longer you wait, the chances are slimmer of trying to get resolution.

·
Premium Member
5,016 Posts
Don't be lulled into a sense of security with a debit card. They may have your back, but your money is out of your account and you have to fight to get it back. When you use a credit card, the money is gone from the credit cards bank, not yours.

Reactions: DaleB

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Your debit card has ZERO protection. It is like sending someone cash in the mail. Once you hit send it is gone. Also, if that number is stolen, your bank account can be drained with little recourse. I reserve my debit card for those times I need some cash from the ATM.
You may want to look into a different bank. Both my wife and I’s debit cards have been hacked, and it was no issue at all getting my money refunded.

·
Vendor
3,820 Posts
Here at NPD, we have a policy of refunding if the backorder can't be filled within 60 days.

It's a balance, because on one hand you want your friggin' part, and if the supplier of the part has a minimal delay, you don't want to lose your place in line. But on the other hand, we have no right to just sit on your money endlessly..

So that's the basic process, although we deviate on it for certain larger customers who don't care how long it takes, they don't want to lose their place in line. We communicate on those longer ones.

Keep in mind that the ONLY reason we ever run out of something, is because the supplier has run out, or has some sort of issue preventing them from manufacturing or stocking. We don't fiddle-fart around with inventory, trying to run on the edge of a razor-blade and "just-in-timing" everything. We go heavy, we go all-in, we stock the shelves with enough of a buffer between you (the customer) and them (the manufacturer/supplier), that most of the flakiness and unreliability of the supply-side of this industry is never translated to our customers. We invest in inventory as a buffer, to protect you from the utter-chaos that is the reproduction parts industry LOL..

So when we backorder you, it's not because we had a bit of a spurt on that item. It's because our supplier is 8+ weeks off the normal mark. And unfortunately, due to COVID-related issues, we've got a ton of suppliers that are off the mark. Lucky for us, we have an inventory to begin with that dwarfs our competitors, so even with the raise in backorder-rate, we're still dipping our ladle into a VASTLY deeper pot of stew.

Last point. There are some notions that charging for the backordered part up-front might be unethical or not good practice, and I get those notions completely. My pops was always a stickler for detail, and watched every penny. When your taking credit card payments, the percentage that you're charged per-transaction increases the lower the total is for the transaction. In other words, if you're a $50M business that has an average ticket of $10 per-transaction, you're going to be giving a HECK of a lot more money to the credit card companies than if you're a $50M business that has a $200 average ticket. Dad always figured that if all backorders got billed individually/separately, that would drive-down our average-ticket considerably, placing us in a less-favorable tier. So instead, we bill the backorders at the same time as the rest of your order.

And before anyone cries "foul" with that, I can state with absolute confidence and assurance, that I've never once in my life taken a customer's money "for a ride", or sat on backorder money so that I could leverage the float. The reason we bill the backorder up-front is not so that we can "have your money, bwah-hah-hah", it's just streamlining the accounting and keeping our tier high with card transactions. We are ethical and honest to the core, we've got nothing to hide, and we would HOPE that we could quickly get you the part that you ordered!! And in the cases that we can't, we let you know and we hand you back your money. If you look at interest rates for the past x-many years, I don't think there's much more than a penny at stake, give or take, in any worst-case example. And I'm good for the penny too, if you want it. :)

Hope this helps explain!!

Rick
NPD

·
Vendor
3,820 Posts
You may want to look into a different bank. Both my wife and I’s debit cards have been hacked, and it was no issue at all getting my money refunded.
Debit cards are backed by credit card companies, and have all the same protections... EXCEPT... For the hours or days that may be involved in discovering and reporting your fraud, the thief indeed has taken your money out of your account, potentially overdrawing it, potentially causing automated payments like your mortgage to "bounce", etc.etc...

And for those reasons, I've never understood the reasoning for using debit cards, other than to force yourself to not accrue debt. And that's just a matter of making sure you use your credit card as if it were cash, and pay the balance 100% every month.

I intentionally have an ATM card that is only an ATM card, not debit. And that's all I used it for, getting cash out of the bank. Other than that, I'm 100% credit, which takes my bank accounts out of the loop.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts