Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
First off you are buying the kit from me (I can even work a nice discount for you).

Second, it's silly to mess around with all that to get 400hp and really have to push the motor. Stroker 351 can get you there a lot easier...

There's not much price difference between different and dumb ;)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Do what you want. The weight ratio is about 54:46 with that V6. You will be quicker around the corners, that's for sure. I've seen another one like this before but not white. I know a guy who woult try and put in a Ford Europeon 4 banger. I say just do what you want. It will catch more attention being different.
Brent

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The GN 3.8 is a good motor (though it'd be a crime not to use the stageII heads)

But that 427 cobra badge DOES NOT belong on that car.....not to mention the contradicting 3.8 badge also present.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Depends on what you're after. A smaller, lighter engine will have advantages in handling, but keep in mind that a small block Ford built with aluminum components will only weigh a tad over 400 lb, which probably compares well to the GN. Also, the SBF will be a slam dunk to install with all the aftermarket parts available, whereas you'll be on your own with that GN engine. Also, if your building this for the "Holy $hit!" factor, I think a well dressed V8 will always produce more drool than a 6, even if it is an awesome 6.

I'm kind of in the same boat with my Spitfire. The smart thing to do would be to drop in some hot little ricer engine, but this project ain't based on brains, it's all about the "Holy $hit!" factor. SBF it is!

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jay don't forget my stock GN motor just pushed 300hp and 450ft lbs at the rear wheels. Modified ones can do a lot more than that but I digress...

I just posted this for fun. I would most likely put in a smallblock and turbocharge or a supercharged big block. HP Performance just came out with a great turbocharge kit for 3995 for small block fords. It includes everything needed for an EFI motor. http://www.turbochargedpower.com

Though, I'd have to find a way to keep the sidepipes. :)

James

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FWD? ::

AWD? Now you're talking ::

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Step away from the pipe. I would wager half the experience of a Cobra is the rumble and roar - not the rattle and hum of a force-fed 6.

-bob

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
WHOA!!!!!

You are violating the third rule of having a bitchin' car, especially a Cobra in this instance. A TRULY bitchin' car has to have The Look, The Performance AND The Sound. Do WHATEVER you want to that Buick motor, but it will STILL have a 6 cylinder sound and in a Cobra, this is UNFORGIVEABLE!!!!

methinks you have been watching way too many Buick/Harley Earl (sp?) commercials lately James. Put anything OTHER than a Ford in that Cobra and you have condemned yourself to eternal damnation.....

randy :p :p :p :p :p :p

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are violating the third rule of having a bitchin' car, especially a Cobra in this instance. A TRULY bitchin' car has to have The Look, The Performance AND The Sound. Do WHATEVER you want to that Buick motor, but it will STILL have a 6 cylinder sound and in a Cobra, this is UNFORGIVEABLE!!!!

methinks you have been watching way too many Buick/Harley Earl (sp?) commercials lately James. Put anything OTHER than a Ford in that Cobra and you have condemned yourself to eternal damnation.....
LOL, that's probably the #1 reason I wouldn't do this. With the affordability of some of the new turbo kits like I posted above, a small block Ford is still my #1 choice. I don't want to sound like a turbo crazed ricer, but my GN is a really fun car b/c of that turbo. That's why I'd like to do something with that power adder in the future.

James

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I agree with the idea of the "holy $hit" factor. Can you imagine people's reactions...
Some Guy: That's a mighty nice cobra you got there.
You: Thanks
Some Guy: What do you have under the hood?
You: A 6 cylinder
Some Guy: :: :: Hmm

Just my opinion...But if you have the money to afford a Cobra, why not go for a 427 or a modified SBF.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Hey, instead of doing a Cobra you might want to consider this thing we have called the Cheetah. The Cheetah is actually based on a short lived effort by The General, you could totally throw that GN motor in there and it would REALLY stand out:

http://ebay2.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_281eb047f70786425990ade3ee3144b3/i-1.JPG
http://ebay2.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_281eb047f70786425990ade3ee3144b3/i-2.JPG

Info at: http://www.team-c-racing.com/cheetah.php

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it me or is that one happy car? ::

I think I saw someone on MY Classic Car that owned the concept car.

James

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Might be the shadow, but the grill is not really "smiling" ... those are the best pictures I can link right now.

It's a neat looking sucker in person though. Few things I'm suggesting they change, but it is a "replicar" so have to stick to the original design somewhat.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Were any Cheetah roadsters actually produced? All the Cheetah's I used to watch racing, were all coupes. Great car to watch on a track like Riverside .

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,662 Posts
Kick this around, how about a 2.3 SVO engine? Ford, and you can use a T5 . With a "real" intercooler and some modifications those things can make buckets of power. If you want to get really interesting, you can rob a DOHC cylinder head off a Volvo (Volvo is owned by Ford)and machine it to fit the 2.3 engine. The end result is a sort of backyard Cosworth engine. Lightweight car, lightweight engine, scary power, and nobody else has one. What more could you ask? Sounds a lot better than a Buick engine in there (to me anyway). Since SVO engines aren't exactly falling out of the trees, substitute one from a TBird, Cougar, or Merkur, as they are all basically the same turbo engine.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
EWWWWWWW...a 2.3 can make a lot of power with a greatly reduced lifespan.....

And as much low speed torque as your typical ricer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts