Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obvious answer is when brake lines get replaced when they are damaged, leaking, rusty.

But in 50yr old cars, should brake lines just be replaced due to age for safety's sake?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
All the rubber lines need to be replaced. The metal lines if they show any sign of rust or corrosion

Reactions: kenash

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
The steel lines also have the potential to rust from the inside. I'm in New England and live at the beach. I replaced mine with stainless steel.

·
Registered
35,460 Posts
I did a brake bleed on my "other" car when it was slightly more than 50 years old. It had been too long, and the fluid looked kinda nasty. A few months later I replaced every line on the car. They never leaked, though.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Age isn't really a factor here. Mostly it's where and how the car has been kept. If it has always been in NJ but parked outside all the time, I'd take a long look at your metal lines. If it came from AZ but has been garaged in NJ, then it's less likely to need new lines.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just replaced all my original brakes lines all around proactively while I was converting to front disc brakes (SSBC A120-4). The old brake lines actually seemed fine inside. It was mostly the distribution blocks at the front and rear that were somewhat obstructed from years of gunk buildup.

The brake lines really aren't bad to replace if you get carbon steel. Can't imagine dealing with stainless steel (less flexible and more prone to leak at fittings). I definitely recommend getting new distribution blocks to mate with your new lines. I had leaks at the fittings of my new lines until I replaced the front distribution block w/ the SSBC A1418 (note: only works w/ front disc conversions).

·
Registered
736 Posts
I wouldn't just replace them because they are old. The entire car is old. Where would you stop?

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Rubber lines....yes. I like to replace mine every 5-6 years. Its not hard, the rear is a PITA so I replace that one when I buy the car and leave it alone.

My original 67 hardlines on the front looked pretty nasty. I removed them and started to clean them up, then saw how inexpensive they were to replace and decided that my labor was worth more than the cost of the lines.

·
Registered
35,475 Posts
I replace steel lines if they show any sign of rust bubbling or scale...a tad of surface or "flash" rust doesn't usually concern me.... Also, if you flush the brake system and the fluid is "rusty" then I'd go through the entire system replacing the lines and inspecting the caliper/wheel cylinder bores and honing if needed. Rubber hoses get inspected for cracks and felt for any internal breaks or bumps. If they look and feel fine their age doesn't concern me too much.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
was thinking about this myself. also considering doing my fuel lines
even though all look ok with just some light surface rust id feel better with new ones

1 - 10 of 10 Posts