Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmmmmmm. Here's a good question. Shag is going to be blasted and then painted. When I did Red I installed new door WS before she was painted because we planned to drive Red a few months before being painted. I carried each door out to the shop layed it down on the exterior side and installed the WS.

But for Shag the doors will be painted gutted. So I guess I should plan to bring Shag home, remove each door, install the WS, rehang the door and install the guts? Then I'll need to realign the doors after all the weight has been added back in.

Or I could install new WS before the car goes to blasting and painting to prevent the doors from having to be removed after it returns home.

What is the most logical time to install the WS?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I would think the painter is probably going to paint the door jambs and probably the interior of the door before he paints the exterior. Most likely the doors will be off the car at that point and the weather stripping could be installed prior to re assembly.

In my case the first painer I lined up wanted me to jamb the doors beforehand to save some money. The guy I'm considering now wants the doors, fenders and hood all removed for paint. The latter seems like it will yeild a better paint job and allow for weatherstrip installation prior to re assembly.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Correct, paint the door while off the car, then install weatherstrip, then re install...

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I put all my weatherstripping in after the car was back together. Probably easier to align the door without any of it in anyhow as I painted my doors off the car.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
gregb said:
I put all my weatherstripping in after the car was back together.
Same here, I did all my W/S work after the paint went on.

I also weighed up the guts of the door and the painter put the appropriate amount of weight inside when he aligned them.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Hemikiller said:
gregb said:
I put all my weatherstripping in after the car was back together.
Same here, I did all my W/S work after the paint went on
The ones Ive done were 70 Machs but, I installed the W/S with the doors on the car after paint, no problems.

JBauer4363

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just remember when I did Red's WS it was so much easier to install when the doors were off and laying down on the shop bench. Using gorella snot and applying the WS with the doors attached seems like a real pain to me. So odds are they will come off when the car comes home. I'd better keep lots of blankets around.

For now I have both doors home. Zero Rusting the insides and removing the old WS.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Its always risky handling painted panels and if you take your doors off after its painted, you will mess-up the paint on the hinge bolts. Besides, I don't see why its so hard putting on weatherstripping with the doors on the car. I use 3m contact cement and a flux brush to apply my door weather strips.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All I remember when I did Red that the WS was a little on the short side so I had to carefully divide the stretch along the 3 flat surfaces equally and not around the two lower corners. This was easily done while it was on the shop table. With the doors hung it will be a challenge. I'll study Red's door set up some more. I do agree removing the doors would be a shame.

I like the idea of adding weight to the doors that equals the weight of the door guts before George does the final door adjustment.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
On mine, we removed the weatherstripping from both doors and left the doors on the car. The jambs were sanded down, then we put new rubber bumpers on (no weatherstripping) and aligned the doors. Removed the rubber bumpers, then prepped and masked for paint. Painted the jambs with the doors on. After the paint cured I put the weatherstripping on. Then he painted the whole car.

Mind you the fenders were off the car so it was easy to hit the fronts of the door jamb and the hinges with paint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts