Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering when the rear quarter window glass that replaced the vents were first introduced, and on what car? Was it a Shelby only thing, or an option in a package, or...? I've always loved the vents myself, but I'm looking at buying a car that has the glass and want to know more about it. Any (accurate) info is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts
They were introduced on the '66 Shelby GT350. They were not offered on the Mustang. You must "butcher" the quarter panel inner structure to install them. From the looks of some of the Shelby installations that's exactly what they did without the use of a sawzall.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They were introduced on the '66 Shelby GT350. They were not offered on the Mustang. You must "butcher" the quarter panel inner structure to install them. From the looks of some of the Shelby installations theat's exactly what they did.
Is it unrealistic to put the vents back in? And if the car has glass, should I commit to a gt350 clone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tend to agree, don’t think I want to go full gt350 clone... would love to see any pics people have of fastback a with the quarter windows that are NOT gt350 clones... looking for some inspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts
The outer louver panel is fastened to some sheet metal "bars" that go across the opening vertically. These "bars" get cut away during the window installation. I'm sure you could "glue" these louvers to the body with some of the modern adhesives. Once they're "glued" in place they are stuck there forever.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Anything is possible if you really want it and are willing to put in the work. Maybe even redo the work a couple of times.

·
Registered
35,216 Posts
Only the 1966 Shelby GT350 (and GT350H) had the window.

The vent was attached to a flat panel. It should not be hard to duplicate using flat sheet metal, especially if you have a car handy to copy.

The guys at Shelby American must have been allowed very little time to do the job. This is a 1966 GT350H. The vent panel was removed using an air chisel, very quickly and crudely. Notice all the 1/8" pop-rivet holes at the rear. I'm guessing it took him a few tries to get the replacement window garnish to fit right.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Might be able to buy those pieces out of a scrap fastback and weld them in. I looked briefly for reproduction pieces but all i could find for you were the $1700 ones (per side) that are the entire side of the car.
Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
536 Posts
Maybe you could just find one of these Kits shown in the attached page from the 1967 Shelby Parts and Accessories Catalog (lol). The price sheet shows it was listed at $59.95.

Good luck ! I always liked these too.

Bob
18.jpg

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The 1/4 widows are Plexiglass , not "glass". Yes they were done quickly and crudely at SAI. Mine are a bit rougher looking than those pictured by 22GT. The windows were done at the same time the over ride (in my case) traction bars were being added. Windows are much nicer looking than vents.

Reactions: fordguy

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
You're certainly welcome to that opinion, but that is reeeeaaallly subjective. I personally much prefer the vents.
Why thank you. Since windows are "stock" on my '66 GT350H I won't be changing them back.

·
Premium Member
6,890 Posts
Multiple people have asked about that section, as

1) It has been cut away for plexiglass windows or
2) Rusted away.

My DY NO MITE 1965 GT fastback that I bought last month or so for $500 was rusted up in that area, so much so that the pot metal louvers almost fell out once I removed the fiberglass sail panels. Only a couple rusty nuts holding them in. The metal braces were long gone.

As referenced before, just that part is not available, and there is basically no such thing as a fastback being scrapped to scavenge them off of.

The are actually a semi complicated metal parts to get everything to line up correctly.

So, the cost of finding the parts, and then sticker shock on the louvers.

By the time you buy the louvers, vents, interior slider panels, and fiberglass sail panels, it can run $750 to $1000. The pot metal louvers love to crack, and it seems all the ones on ebay are for the left (?) side, don't remember which side, and none of the other side. No idea why.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Here's a good angle of the quarter windows. I don't remember having to butcher the car to put them in but maybe i'm just a butcher to begin with. I got the kit from Tony Branda over 15 years ago. It was a solid weekend project to put them in.

Reactions: C6ZZGT

·
Dimples
4,356 Posts
Here's a good angle of the quarter windows. I don't remember having to butcher the car to put them in but maybe i'm just a butcher to begin with. I got the kit from Tony Branda over 15 years ago. It was a solid weekend project to put them in.
Car looks great! There is a parallel universe where I built my car exactly like this one. Hood, wheels, all of it. Ended up going a different route, but seeing this photo warms my heart. Saving this to my "inspiration" folder.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts