Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered an MSD 6a box, and I want a duraspark dizzy to go with it. Where can I get one? I looked on ehay, but none had the buy it now, and I don't want to go through the hassle of an auction. Any cars come with them from the factory? So I can go to a junk yard and get one, or where can I buy one new? How much do they cost new?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
You ought to be able to buy a rebuilt one from Pep Boys or Autozone and pay the core charge $15-20 and be done with it.
I did that with a stock dizzy.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everyime I call either of those places and say "Duraspark" they act like they dont know what im talking about. So what do I say, I need a distributor for a 1982 Mustang 5.0? The engine in my car is a 70, and im switching to electronic, so I was wondering what year car to ask for.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just ask for any model year 302 that you know came with the duraspark ignition. Or tell them an electronic ignition unit, the Duraspark part probably confuses them.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
You will need one that has vacuum advance, with iron gear (non roller cam). I'm not sure what car truck
has that. Hopefully someone will know... Something before 1985, V8 non-EEC

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I'm retyping this cause I fudged up...

Get as much new as you can. I prefer Standard Ignition Bluestreak products (with an "X" at end of part number).

From the parts store: TOTAL $230
Distributor (mid/late '70s 302 Duraspark II with single vacuum advance) $75 A1Cardone
wide cap (post style with brass contacts) #FD-168X $25
rotor (for wide cap) #FD-177 (X if available) $5
adapter (wide cap to small dist) #FD-156 $10
ignition wires (for wide cap) any performance brand $50
plugs (why not) Autolite $15
coil #FD-476X $35 (or performance coil)

From the wreckers: TOTAL $20
dist. core $10
harness w/connector $10

So, for $250, you could have a completely new ignition system.

Confirm all above part numbers before purchasing. You can assemble the dist, rotor, adapter, cap, wires at the store before you buy them. The MSD 6A will function as the control module, so don't buy another one. The used harness has only three wires going to it, all to the module. Custom trim the wires for a clean look. I have a conversion schematic on my website.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
22,134 Posts
Good old Granadas, LTD's, F100 trucks, just about any Ford that had a factory 302 from 77-80. More or less, there's a lot more that work. I'd try 77 Granada.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
You can usually find a good one at a junkyard, the one to get has one plug-in and it contains a black, violet, and orange wire, and a 302 distributor will have a 1/4" hex for the oil pump drive shaft (check with an allen wrench).
Check the vacuum advance by sucking air thru the vacuum hole (Make sure no one's looking)!/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Some later Duraspark units had two plug-in's, stay away from those... Not the one you want!

The Duraspark units usually aren't worn because there's no points to wear the bushing, but check it first for slop.
While you're in the junkyard, get a Duraspark coil, and the plug-in connector for the coil... Makes a neat installation. You'll need no other wiring, just the MSD6A.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Thanks for calculating it out. If you include MSD box, it will end up somewhere near $350. This is why I have sometimes recommended Performance Distributors' D.U.I for about the same amount.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to calculate the cost of the ignition module (MSD 6A).

Doesn't the DUI distributor have the coil in the cap like a ***GASP*** HEI!!!

Putting one on a Ford would make it look like you swapped a 350 in backwards!!! It would probably run better that way...haha

Do you have any photos?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Yes DUI has the coil inside. And yes it is basically a HEI, standard GM parts should be usable.

Heh, no it doesn't look like SBC, the headers show that it is SBF.

Sorry, I don't have photos.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts