Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've read many posts about bad repro solenoids, but no suggestions on where to get a good one.

Should I get one at a Ford dealer? I don't care about originality, I just want one that works and would be more likely to keep working.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I bought mine from NAPA last month, no problems with it. Cost $10-15 IIRC. Only difference I saw was the case is a dark brown color instead of the OEM black.

Unit made in the USA

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Pep Boys. Made by Bourg-Warner here in the good ole USA. I got the premium one with Cu terminals, cost about $15.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Brett,

What are Cu terminals? I've been considering buying a backup to keep in the trunk "just in case" due to the recent horror stories here.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I just picked one up from Napa yesturday, It ran $16.99. The one's I have been getting from Autozone ran $6.95, I think the rule of "you get what you pay for" goes with the Autozone ones beacause I am on my third one, before I finally replaced it with the Napa brand. I hope this is the last time I have to replace it. Good luck. James.

G

·
0 Posts
I use solenoids made by Standard Ignition part # SS-581
Never have any problems. A common cause of failures is people tend to overtighten the large battery cable connections on the solenoids causing the common solenoid is stuck failure.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
After the concours one on the Fastback failed within 200+ miles, I bought one made by Accel for $13 at the Ford Motor Sports Nationals (Maple Grove, Penn). The Accel solenoid looks similar to the concours one, but I hope it lasts longer. The concurs solenoid worked perfectly up until the time it flat out quit. Further testing it off-line shows that it will engage three out of four times.... just be in the garage when it decides to quit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts