Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from being upset with myself for not wanting to drive the speed limit (and getting tickets), my GF is also angry with me for the same reason. She suggested a governor. And the more I think about it the better it sounds.

Where could I get one and/or how could I make one? How do those things work anyway? Are they connected to the tranny or the engine, or both? Drastic times call for drastic measures. Sure I could get a Geo or something, but I find myself driving fast in any car, whether it be my Mustang or a Corolla or Civic, I have a lead foot either way.

I read up on how many points it requires to lose your liscence in California. 4 points in 12 months, 6 in 24, and 8 in 36. I have one now, and this little doosy will be one more notch on the bed post in a period of a bit less than 24 months. I am not a wreckless driver, so I need not worry about losing my liscence, yet, I will be paying so many fines I won't be able to afford gas to drive.

So a governor, slow me down....

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Get an adjustable rev limiter, set it to 2500rpm and you'll be all set!
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif
D

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only problem with that is that in 5th gear, with 3.00 gears in the rear, doing 2500rpm is about 90mph. I thought about the rev limiter but it will have to be set at like 2000rpm. I idle at 800, so that leaves me 1200 rpm to work with, that is worse than a diesel!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Tell her that if you got more sex you'd be so tired you'd have to drive slower! Better yet ask her to marry you, that will slow you down!
Come on man get control of yourself. Listen to Sinatra while you drive or turn on the EZ listening station in your area.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL!! Wouldn't that be a nice "fix" for my problem?! She'll get a laugh out of that when she see's it (and yes, she does read some stuff on the forum sometimes, atleast when I point out the funny/good stuff).

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Up until my a couple of weeks ago my car was governed sort of, but not intentionally. On my '65, the gas pedal was bottoming out against the floorboard so I wasn't getting full throttle. Plus I reused the spring from my '289 on the '351 and had to mount it further from the carb, so the spring was initially under more tension. That made it more difficult to push the gas and would also have prevented full throttle. I ended up going to a slightly longer spring and removing the gas pedal assembly and bending the throttle arm and gas arm to change the geometry. Now I have full throttle /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Makes it really easy to speed with the new spring. I'd suggest a shorter/stiffer spring return spring and go from there. If there's any adjustment at the carb (like the threaded rod on my '65), you could probably "govern" yourself like that too. Good luck whatever you decide /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Shane

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Some 5.13's would probably do the trick...

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Tape a picture of a bicycle to your steering wheel. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
You could get a rev limiter that is a two step, so when you get on the highway or speed you need to be, flip the switch and you won't be able to go above let say 2,000 or whatever and with the switch of you could have it at 7,000 or 5,000 whatever you rev your motor too........

·
Registered
467 Posts
BLMustang has a pretty nice point, the 2 step rev limiter!!
Maybe could work on your iron foot
Or let your GF drive, maybe she goes............................. faster!!!!!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Tape a picture of a bicycle to your steering wheel.
lol!!!!

ok....I won't tease Dave anymore!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts