Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what to call this, it looks like some sort of brad nut? This support has 4 of these, one of mine is damaged beyond repair. Looking for a solution to fix it

Any advice? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
Maybe re-tap the threads or drill it out and install a thread insert. Otherwise, grind it off and weld on a nut or just use a nut on the back side with a wrench to hold while inserting the bolt.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually here is mine- the other one I used for reference as it’s a spare that I have. Below are 2 pics. One that shows the whole unit, all 4 nuts are there. The second pic shows the mis-shapen nutsert. I didn’t think about trying to rethread it. That might work. I don’t have the bracket with me so this is the best pic I have right now. I’m trying to avoid cutting and welding

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a clinch D nut. What size are they?
I believe it’s a 3/8 x16. I think I had a header bolt threaded in one of the holes. I’d have to double check to be sure.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Grind off the swedge, remove the old nut and weld one on the back side. Run a tap through it to clean up any distortion from the welding.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to head over to my shop today and see if I can drill and tap it. If not I might be able to get the one good one off my junk bracket and possibly press it on or if I have to weld it on. I am hoping the easy fix is to drill and tap it. Probably should have bought a reproduction for $60, but where's the fun in getting parts that require no work?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
"parts that require no work"

Yeah, right

I just tossed the repo radiator support brace that I bought. Total junk.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"parts that require no work"

Yeah, right

I just tossed the repo radiator support brace that I bought. Total junk.
Ha... poor choice of words..shoulda caught myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts