Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the post about how much our Mustangs weigh and how much the weights differ from one another. So I was wondering if there was some place that would allow us to have our car weighed. Could we do it at the dump, a truck weigh station on the side of the freeway, a giant bathroom scale? I would like to know how much my Mustang weighs especially since I have changed a lot of the stock equipment for newer stuff. So where should we go to weigh our cars?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Also, if there is a quarry or stoneyard nearby that has retail trade. The way they charge for stone is to weigh your car as you come in and when you come out with whatever stone. They might weigh your car for a modest fee or you could buy yourself a $5.00 rock to get the answer/forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Take it to a metal scrap yard. There is one near me and it isn't too bad to drive through on sunny days. Of course they will look at you like "I know you don't wan't to scrap that car do you?". Just tell them that you wanted to see how much the car weighs.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You might be better off at a truck weight station on the freeway. That way you can get front and rear blance as well as total weight. I know the FOX Mustangs were nose heavy, IIRC 59% front to 41% rear. I wonder what my 66 f/b is? I guess I'll be off the a truck weight station as soon as I find one! Good luck

·
Registered
553 Posts
Please no more fad diets! I love my car no matter how much she weighs /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif In fact I think we are going to go for a little workout around town.

Yah Baybee!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Bring it up here to Riverton, WY. You can weigh it on my fertilizer plant scale. Its 70' long and 12' wide and provides a stamped weight!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif WY Dept of Agriculture re-certified it day before yesterday...

Or you can get yourself pulled over by the highway patrol and they carry around little scales for weighing big trucks. Right, funny.

Most any "factory" type businesses have a scale you can weigh. Most around here charge a small nominal fee of $2 - $5.00.

G

·
0 Posts
You can get your car weighed at any large rural feed store also check with your local landfill as they have very accurate scales due to tracking the amount of fill that enters the landfill cells.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,861 Posts
If you're interested you can build your own "scale". I've seen these rigs in use by low-dirt track racers. The real cheapos use a piece of 2"x10" board and a bathroom scale. The trick is getting the board level with the scale and placing the centerline of the tire 21 inches away from the centerline of the scale (a cheap Kmart bathroom scale) and multiplying by 4. Do the same for all four wheels and you get total weight and complete weight bias info. If you're interested, a book called "Mustang Performance 2" has detailed plans to build and use a slick metal version. It's a Fox Mustang book, but has lots of good stuff in it like making a bumpsteer guage, rollcage stuff, and lots of handling info. Found mine at Barnes&Noble.
The high-dollar racers use a purpose built scale they just drive onto. This would pop a bathroom scale instantly.

G

·
0 Posts
I mean no dis-respect to the people here trying to help you but everyone is wrong. All these scales, fertilizer plant, scrap yard, truck stop, are intended for heavy vehicles & are inaccurate. Being a successful drag racer I found out the hard way. Take it to a local race car chassis shop & use their 4 corner scales(it's a nomonal charge) or a can recycler. Something that weighs weights less than 10,000#.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
No disrespect here either, but we can weigh 10 lbs on our big scale. Dead accurate. And accurate splits too. Clear up to 150,000 lbs. Extremely accurate. The scale needs to be that sensitive as every bit of fertilizer sold is weighed across that scale. Whether 200 lbs or 20,000 lbs. Not only that, the scale is required to be certified by the State for legal trade and re-certified annually. Very little weight variation (20 lbs allowable variance on our scale) is allowed for a scale to be certified for trade. If not, you fix your scale.

Any certified platform scale is accurate enough to weigh a car. I'm not trying to be a smart @ss, its just our scale weighs perfectly and big platform scales work equally well with light weights. Now I'm curious as to the weight of my shell project....never weighed it.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,498 Posts
If you still can't find a place, check with your local DMV office. Vehicles being registered commercially are weighed since a "weight" fee is charged as part of the annual registration. They send their customers someplace locally for weighing. Hope this helps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts