Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Where did you break the engine in?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really debating if I break my fresh rebuild outside the car or installed in the car when I get it back from paint. I see positives/negatives to both methods, but my biggest concern is ease of repair if something goes wrong (oil or coolant leak, god forbid something worse) before it's actually in the car. However, it would be easier to have everything hooked up and fluids in ONE time in the car rather than doing all that over again after running it on a cradle. No one around me has an engine dyno, and those a good distance away want my 401k to run it. Ugh!

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,166 Posts
If you have a engine run in stand, then by all means bolt it up and run it. If not drop it in the car.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
+1 Trust your work.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
like the others said, just install it and run it. if you pay attention to detail you can avoid issues like oil and coolant leaks. and you can have the engine fire up the first time as well. i was able to do that when i rebuilt the engine in my mustang way back in 79.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
It's easy enough to build a cradle out of 2 x 8s and fire up your engine there. Just don't run it for very long. I've done a few dozen that way and I'll be doing another 289 when the weather gets better.

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
It doesn't take a whole lot to make up an engine test set up if you have a welder. I had never used one until I built the stroker and I wanted to make sure everything was going to go smooth so I borrowed one from a friend. It was really nice to use that even though I had to do some mods to it for my engine and cleaned up the wiring some. I made the engine block mods adjustable so it would work like he had it or you could use the "extensions" I put on it for a Ford small block engine. He said I had free borrow it privileges forever on that thing after what all I did to it for him.

It is nice to be able to see and get to everything on a brand new engine if something leaks or doesn't go right. If it all goes perfect it probably isn't needed but it is still nice to have one. You can run it in and keep it on the test stand until you are ready to put it in the car. That way you can crank it up periodically to keep everything lubed up and operational even if the engine is done a long time before the car is. I plan to pull my engine out again and run it back in when I convert it to the roller cam later on. It has to come out anyway.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
My buddy rebuilt his dad's 65 GT350 engine for SVRA racing. It was broken in at the track practice session with the instruction: "Dad, just take it easy to break it in". That held for about a lap. Lap two he passed the pits wide open. My buddy just shook his head. :) It's held up fine.

Reactions: subpar63

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
You don’t really need much break in with modern machining and ring material. The only thing that really needs broken in is a flat tappet cam. If it’s a roller cam, everything should be done after one heat cycle, then go kill it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yup engine break in is a thing of the past. For the most part they break in on the assembly stand as the rings are already starting to seat just by spinning it by hand etc. Even regular lifters don't need much of special attention.

It's nice to start the engine out of the car but not needed. You can buy a stand for around $400 or you can beef up a decent cradle enough to get a first start and leak check. Or like mentioned build one out of lumber. There isn't allot of forces involved in the stand it's more just the weight of the engine.

Now if you are talking about an 8-71 for a boat then yeah it will be started before being installed in the boat...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Mustang was in the car, way back when. Plastic car was on a stand. Picture of stand and plumbing. And Tacos sound really good right now.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
In the car - my .02 - use water, no antifreeze (just don't forget to add antifreeze later) - have a fire extinguisher within hands reach - have a portable fan blowing air through the radiator.

And tacos have to be built correctly too, meat then cheese before any other fixins - the cheese has to melt. Add plenty of cold beer and you should be good to go!

John

Reactions: ophthos and Turnall
1 - 20 of 33 Posts