Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Where do i find Concourse correct rear springs?

1379 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  tlea
Starting to get things lined up for detaling the underside of my 69 r-code mach 1. I dropped the rear axle out the other day and noticed the original springs were rusty and need replacement. In looking in my 5-6 different mustang parts books, I'm having a hard time understanding which ones to buy to replace originals, some claim to be exact but have a 1" drop to improve handling etc.....Can anyone steer me in the right direction, I'm loking for more original than street perfromance. Thanks
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
196 Posts
The ONLY place to go for correct springs is Eaton Detroit Spring. http://www.eatonsprings.com/ I've replaced springs on several Mustangs over the years, and recently installed a set from Eaton. They had the correct round leaf ends and clamps. The only criticism I have is that they came dipped in a very heavy black paint. Rear springs were unpainted from the factory and plated with zinc phosphate/oil, but apparently Ford replacements were dipped in black paint. (If others here know differently, please chime in). It took me hours to strip all that paint off. Under the paint was indeed zinc phosphate plating though. I'd suggest asking Eaton when you place your order if there's any way you can get them unpainted.

· Registered
2,820 Posts
Ditto on the black paint. I ended up dissassembling mine, cleaning off all the paint, phosphate and oiling them and then reassembling them. Nice quality springs though.

G

·
One other minor note about the Eaton springs is that the lower leaf is slighty different than originals. It also will not have the engineering numbers stamped in them like original. I always swap out the lower leaf with an original.

Eaton will leave them natural if you ask, but you have to be very specific and pushy with this. I also had to strip the black off a set of springs... I was NOT a happy camper.

· Registered
2,478 Posts
Ditto on all of the above.
Eaton Springs, had to strip paint, does not have part #. Be sure to tell them not to paint them. My friend also said they will do that when requested.

· Registered
2,654 Posts
I re-used the bands that came with my Eaton springs. You can carefully unbend the clamp tab and remove the clamp. I used paint remover to get all of the black paint off, cleaned up the clamp with 0000 steel wool, and then hit it with a coat of satin clear. Be careful when you replace the clamp and bend the clamp tab back over, you don't want to break the tab. I replaced the rear springs on my convertible just as everyone else has told you. I painted the leaves with cast blast (since I drive mine), re-used the bottom leaf with part #, and they look great.

· Registered
650 Posts
In the late 80's I bought a set from Ford for a 67 hipo. They had the Ford emblem and part# stamped into the short spring and were dipped in a thick coating of brown wax or cosmoline. I remember it smelt just like crayons. I had the local engine shop dip them in their degreaser tank overnight, and they came out perfectly clean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.