Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey-
I have mounted a new set of horns for my car. I want to keep the original horns as well, and avoid using a relay. My question is where do I take power from to send to the horn compressor- there must be a buss bar somewhere.Thanks for the help.

J. Staff

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
There is no buss bar. You will need to add one if you want one.

The most common place to get power from is the solenoid post, but that gets pretty short pretty fast. I put a distribution block (stereo equip) in for this purpose, but you could also use an auxiliary fuse block to accomplish the same thing.

I'd also suggest using a relay, but that's just me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a relay that came with the horns. How should I wire it?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just to elaborate that a bit, you would typically attach a good quality power source (like from the battery side of the starter solenoid, as Kent mentioned, or perhaps a distribution block) to terminal 30 on the relay. Then your compressor power input would be attached to terminal 87, and the compressor ground of course goes to ground. Make sure to properly terminate and insulate terminal 87a, as this won't be used for anything but will have power running to it when the circuit is off.

From there, you would attach your trigger (I'm guessing the horn circuit) to terminal 86, and 85 goes to ground.

Theoretically, when you hit the horn, the relay will close, power will flow from terminal 30 to terminal 87, your compressor will turn on, and send compressed air to the horn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts