Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my four week long project. I removed all of the smog emissions stuff and installed a new Edelbrock instake, Edelbrock 1406 carb, MSD distributor, MSD6al box, MSD wires, fuel pump, wire harness and replace every little thing along the way that needed replacing. Now the moment I've been waiting for. Turned the key and nothing. The engines will turn but not start. I first thought, WOW at least there are no leaks but now I need help. I think I should start with the timing because I basically lost track of where the old distributor rotor was pointed to. BTW, I do have fuel at the carb. Please HELP!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Fuel to the carb is a good thing. Now you need fire to burn it. That is were I would start first. Make sure you have spark at the plugs. If you do then go to the timing. If not go back and check to make sure you have all wires hooked up right. Good Luck

69 Mach 1 427 Windsor

G

·
0 Posts
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I think I should start with the timing because I basically lost track of where the old distributor rotor was pointed to.

<hr></blockquote>

You should always bring the distributor rotor to No. 1 firing position (No. 1 cyl at TDC) when making modifications as you have. It leads to less heartbreak.

Just bring No. 1 cyl to TDC on the firing stroke and reorientate the distributor.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, how do I do this....

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Pull the no. 1 plug. stick your thumb or finger into the edge of the spark plug hole (don't shove it way in, just enough to kinda plug the hole). With a remote starter, or helper at the key, bump the engine until you feel the compression blast past your thumb. Then throw a 5/16th socket on the crank bolt and rotate the engine clockwise (as you're facing the engine) until the timing mark is at about 6 deg. BTDC. Now examine where the rotor is pointing. It should be pointing EXACTLY at the 1post of the distributor.

I agree with the other poster, though, to check and make sure you have spark at the plugs first. If the MSD6-AL is not hooked up right, you will get no spark, which means no start.

G

·
0 Posts
It may be your MSD stuff you stuck on there. I put a new MSD 6AL and MSD Billet Dist on my 72' Mach1 and had no spark. I had spark with the box when I did the MSD distributor bypass test to check it and I had the right OHMS with the Dist. After calling MSD and having them troubleshooting it, we found out that as soon as the engine was turning over the spark would drop off. A way to check this is to do the bypass test on the box with one person turning over the engine while the other person is manually sparking it. The solution to my problem was changing where I had the heavy black wire grounded. I had it on the (-) side of cylinoid and moved it to the frame. Then Wamo, I had spark. If you need help trouble shooting your MSD stuff call thier tech support. They are A+++++ and stay on the phone with you the whole time while you both trouble shoot the problem. Have a meter ready. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Anyways,

1. I would 1st check and make sure your distibutor is firing on the #1 plug when the #1 cylinder is on its compression stroke. I had a valve cover off, so I had my wife watch the rocker arms and tell me when they stopped moving while I manually rotated the crank around and lined up the timming marks.
2. Make sure you plug wires are right.....correct firing order.....triple check it.

3. Check and make sure when you step on the gas the car squirts some fuel in the intake.

4. Finially check your MSD ignition out and see if it is working. Use thier Tech support if you have to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts