Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've decided I'm going to finish my car this year, money willing. I have around $2k in the bank and I'm going to put away $500 a month just for my car. Right now my car is pretty stock. Only mods are an MSD Ignition, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Edelbrock #1406 Carb, 1" Spacer, Front & Rear Sway Bars, Curved Monte Carlo Bar, Gas-A-Just Shocks, long tube headers, & dual exhaust

Transmission - This is my daily driver and I need some decent gas mileage. Id like to upgrade to AOD + B&M Holeshot Converter.
Cooling - I live in AZ and damn is it hot. If I'm going to beef up my engine I'm defiantly going to need an Aluminum Radiator and Electric Fan. After market water pump would be nice as well.
Brakes - With added HP all need more stopping power. Front disc brakes is a must along with new Master Cyl and maybe a Mini Booster.
Steering/Suspension - Complete rebuild, after market stuff. / Leaf & coil springs.
Interior - Hi-Back Seats, Seat Foam, Seat Covers, & Carpet. Are the Lo-Back seats convertible to Hi-Back w/new seat foam? I read this somewhere.
A/C - Did I mention I live in Arizona? Need complete system minus evaporator.
Engine - Is my 289 even worth rebuilding? Heads 1.90/1.60, Cam, Timing Chain, Roller rockers, lifters, ext ext. I don't need a lot of power. 250RWHP would be plenty for me.

There's other things Id like to do down the road, but Id like to accomplish as many as the things I listed this year if possible. Should I tackle the easier cheap things 1st. Like Interior and Cooling, and then what?

What's your thoughts?

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
well i like to do it all at once... for example might as well do suspension and brakes at the same time. I'd go for American Pony/Canadian Mustang kit of some sort and some 68-73 disks.

Then sometime I'd pull a head off the engine and see if your going to need a full rebore or not.. and plan out the engine phase. Once its figured out just do everything in the engine compartment all at once, makes things easier and your less likely to send a fan into a new radiator or something, and you can detail the engine compartment up all nice and such /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Prioritise the big projects..... then before you take it on make sure your prepared to do it AFAP (no waiting for this kit and that part.. thats what i tend to do /forums/images/icons/frown.gif )

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Shagg has good advise ,,, If the car has the paint on it you want and no body work needed I'd do the Chassis steering brakes first,,as mentioned take the money you have now and order all the components needed to do the swap/upgrades and do it ,,Then I'd do the trans as it will be the easiest, once the trans is bought and fitted to the car IE: cooler,drive shaft,cross member etc,I'd then do the rear gear as with an over drive you will then be able to take advantage of new power curve,,last I'd takle the engine,,you now know what RPM you want the car to cruise at because you have selected a gear ratio/tire wheel size ,and it is a good time to gather up all the A/C and radiator required ments,,take the engine to a competent builder and FULLY explain all you wishes you have for the engine(HP wanted A/C overdrive etc) and he can give you a price,,This will be the spendy part if you want a REAL 250+RWHP but the 289 is a great place to start

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Clean car...

Ah, to be young again...*G*

Concur with suspension/steering/brakes rebuild/upgrades first...that should use up most of the 2K, depending on level of performance desired. Safety first *G*

Then save up to do the interior....creature comforts and cool sounds are important too..*G*

Then save up to do the cooling and AC mods....

Then save up to do the engine mods/ AOD addition all at one time. You might wish to examine/upgrade the rear end (if OEM) at this point, or you could do it during the suspension work.

This chronology is predicated on the assumption that the car is presently reliable.

A rough estimate of cost, if you do the work yourself (other than engine machine work/trans-rear rebuilds), would be in the 6-8K range, depending on performance level of suspension, brakes and engine/trans/rear. I'd budget 10 just to be safe...at your rate of saving, depending on your free time to devote to the project, you could have it done within 18 months at the longest.

Have fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts