Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SPAL fan with a thermostat, but I don’t know where or how to install it.

I have a 1966 Mustang that is fairly stock. Where do I install it, and could you please explain how with some simplified instructions? I have no experience with electrical.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Is it the spal screw in type fan sensor switch?...it screws into a port on your intake manifold, if your manifold has one. Otherwise, you're either going to have to give up your dash gage and use that port, or order another type of switch...one that has a probe that slips in the fins of the radiator.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
We put a spal fan/fluideyne set up in our 66. We did not give up the in dash gauge. You can purchase a motorcraft replacement thermastat housing at your local parts store. It will have a treaded hole for your fan ascending unit. Autozone is were we got ours, cot about $4. bucks.

Pat

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
If you do not have spal's installation instructions you can download them from their website @ spal.com. I would have emailed them to you with a pic or two of our installation but you bio is a bit thin.

Pat

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Some thermostats have probes that install between the radiator cores, some have Klixon type switches that screw into the brackets attaching the radiator, and some have thermostatic probes that screw into oil or water petcock holes. For this reason you need to consult the installation instructions for the type that comes with your fan or fan relay.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know what type it is, but it's a 3/8 pipe thread with a doom like sensor at the bottom, and a place to screw down a wire on the top. It also has a 1/2 adaptor.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I installed a flexalite thermstat. The sensor installs in the upper radiator hose inlet, tucked under the hose and clamp. Very easy to install and works great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts