Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Return spring on top side of clutch equalizer bar to firewall? It looks sorta like that spring on my 66.

·
Premium Member
13,183 Posts
Since the OP did not place a quarter next to the spring it is difficult to judge the size of it. It could be a throttle spring or a clutch spring. If it's a clutch spring I believe it hooks into a small hole in the outer end of the clutch release lever.

·
Registered
262 Posts
reminds me of a seat cushion spring. Its too short for a clutch return spring.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
The early cars had a clutch return spring in the engine compartment. It was phased out 8n late 65 or 66. It connects to a tab on the firewall and t9 the to of the Z-Bar

·
Premium Member
13,183 Posts
1965 Mustangs with the adjustable Pedal-To-Equalizer Rod and fixed length Release Rod did not have the upper spring on the clutch linkage. Look at the Retracting Spring that attaches to a hole in the end of the Release Lever. I think the spring in the OP's photo is the Retracting Spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The early cars had a clutch return spring in the engine compartment. It was phased out 8n late 65 or 66. It connects to a tab on the firewall and t9 the to of the Z-Bar
If, by early you mean April of 66 You are correct. That is my build date and my car has the little tab and spring.
PS I am the second owner of the car. Had it since 1977

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1965 Mustangs with the adjustable Pedal-To-Equalizer Rod and fixed length Release Rod did not have the upper spring on the clutch linkage. Look at the Retracting Spring that attaches to a hole in the end of the Release Lever. I think the spring in the OP's photo is the Retracting Spring.
I believe it is the assist spring. I already have the retracting spring assembled.

·
Registered
36,488 Posts
It is too light to be the under-dash assist spring by a country mile. No way, no how.

If the bent end (lower in the photo) were re-formed properly, it would be appropriate for the under-hood return spring between the upper equalizer arm and the firewall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is too light to be the under-dash assist spring by a country mile. No way, no how.

If the bent end (lower in the photo) were re-formed properly, it would be appropriate for the under-hood return spring between the upper equalizer arm and the firewall.
Where in the firewall?

·
Registered
36,488 Posts
Mid to late 66 Mustangs had the spring mounted between the top of the equalizer arm and a tab just below the master cylinder. It can be really hard to see unless you go looking for it. Early 66 had no such spring, like the 65 they had a really long spring from the release lever to the shock tower.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts