Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My factory coolant temp gauge (the electrical one in the dash cluster) has a sensing unit threaded just in front of my carb. I want to install a mechanical / analog temp gauge to compare the two temp readings. Where is a second port that I can use to attach the bulb?

Here are pics of my intake. Please suggest away! Is that one at cyl 8? The rusty-looking hex head?

I don't see a place. I'm thinking of disconnecting my two heater hoses, putting in a "stubby" at the t-stat and plugging it. Then I would remove the intake heater hose port and use that for the gauge. Lots of religion and PB Blaster to make sure that it comes out cleanly, but I'm hopeful or naive.

...but I'd rather not disconnect the heater hoses and use an existing port.

Also, as you can see, there is no port on my t-stat housing.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
my 1st thought. I think they also make a 'T' fitting that your sender and sensor units can both thread into... short of drilling and tapping a new hole (removing the intake most likely)

·
Registered
471 Posts
That splice unit for a rad hose is a great idea. In my case, putting a brass Tee onto the present temp sender port would crowd the dizzy too much (MSD dizzy might be wider than stock?) -- if that is what you were referring regarding T placement.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@gt350sr is that for the heater hose or radiator hose? Amazon? Good idea!

·
Registered
287 Posts
when I had to replace my thermostat housing, the replacement came with a port for an additional sending unit.

·
Registered
35,478 Posts
Grab a '68+ thermostat housing with the bung for a DVCV. Just make sure the bulb from your "mechanical" unit doesn't prevent the thermostat from opening.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If I remember correctly, I got my thermostat housing with the extra temp port in it from Amazon for about $10, it was called the Dorman 902-1001 Engine Coolant Thermostat Housing, and the nipple for the bypass hose was not the same diameter as the nipple on the water pump to which it connects. Amazon sells a hose for it though, it's the Gates 20662 Molded Coolant Hose, and one end is 5/8" and the other is 3/4".

Reactions: 66#3

·
Registered
471 Posts
Grab a '68+ thermostat housing with the bung for a DVCV. Just make sure the bulb from your "mechanical" unit doesn't prevent the thermostat from opening.

View attachment 760422
Great, thanks. Makes for a neater install.
IIRC, for a thermo port for controlling an electric fan, do I remember correctly that some have advised installing the thermostat sender at/near the RETURN line from the radiator?

·
Registered
471 Posts
If I remember correctly, I got my thermostat housing with the extra temp port in it from Amazon for about $10, it was called the Dorman 902-1001 Engine Coolant Thermostat Housing, and the nipple for the bypass hose was not the same diameter as the nipple on the water pump to which it connects. Amazon sells a hose for it though, it's the Gates 20662 Molded Coolant Hose, and one end is 5/8" and the other is 3/4".
Good info. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I required a second port when I did my EFI install. The thermostat housing was perfect. GlowShift Gauges makes every adapter you could ever need. I inserted a fitting into the heater hose that I used to purge the air from the engine when I refill the coolant. They do make them to insert into just about any diameter radiator hose for under $20.

·
Registered
35,478 Posts
Also not to be discarded for a coolant fan sensor location is the soldering of a bung into the top radiator tank by the average radiator shop.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If that is for splicing into 5/8 heater hose I would bet that an AutoMeter sender would bottom out.
I'm going to find that out tomorrow, @jdub . My coupling/fitting arrives tomorrow so I'll do a test fit to ensure it doesn't bottom out. Watch for a follow-up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts