Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...I must admit that when Bob put the big kabosh on the VMF Classifieds, my response was "yawn". Now that I'm scrambling to figure out Project Overdrive, I'm trying to find a 65/66 C4 shifter to mock up with my AOD-E, converting in the process to a cable, rather than a rod.

Anyway I digress....In the old days, I would have headed over to the VMF classifieds. I looked at the free/trade board...but didn't see anything. I did a Google search to find any other board for vintage classifieds, but couldn't come up with anything. Has anyone found anywhere similar to the old VMF classifieds?

Phil

P.S. Please do not respond with an offer to sell me a shifter as this is not a parts wanted ad...they are not allowed on the board.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Phil, what am I missing here, I can get to the free/trade parts area. Or is it soon leaving?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
when Bob put the big kabosh on the VMF Classifieds

I didn't know he did. In fact, I placed a post in the parts wanted section for a '69 windshield wiper switch last week. I was inundated with people that had one, bought the cheapest, and got it today.

I just went to the classifieds, and accessed it fine.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hey buddy, you still need a shifter? Not trying to sell you one, but, I have a Hurst shifter that I am taking out of the Muastang. I would loan it to you, if you need it. The reason I thought about the Hurst, it is cable operated. It works great, but looks bad with my console, so I am going to go to a stock C4 shifter.
If you would like to use it for awhile, let me know. It is not out yet...Should be by the first of next week. Just waiting for the C4 shifter that I have bought in the Classifieds "Here"

Steve

·
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Huh...I guess I was just looking in the wrong place. I thought all we had were the trade/free parts now. I was just looking in the wrong area! Sorry.

Re: Hurst shifter. Any chance you could send me a picture of what it looks like on your console? That's my WHOLE issue. I want to keep my stock console AND have a cable shifter. I bought a cable shifter out of a '98 mustang on for a whole $35 including cable. I figure if I had a stock c4 shifter too, I could frankenstein it into something that would work great and look stock. I have the C4 shifter in my vert...but I don't want to mess with it until I've psyched out the rest of the swap.

So far the parts I have include:
1998 AOD-E 4R70W with wide ratio gear set (V6 car)
Stock torque convertor for above
AOD block plate and t/c cover
Baumann Transmission Control System (black box for the electronics)
Wiring harness from '98 Mustang
Yoke and driveshaft from '98 Mustang (in route)
Shifter/cable from '98 Mustang (in route)
28 ounce imballance flex plate for above
New Ford dipstick tube, dipstick, and o ring (in route)

Also, Mustangsurfer is working on a pretty cool "universal" transmission mount that will work.

The only other big deal I need to work out is the Throttle Position Sensor...but I've got the part numbers and four pictures of one mounted in a 1966 mustang.

If I can figure the shifter out, and verify I know how to hook up the speedometer cable...and verify that I can wedge it in between my headers, I should be good to go.

Phil

·
Registered
680 Posts
O.K., here is what I have learned trying to get a shifter to work with a full console...They won't...All the aftermarket shifters set on top of the floor, and alll you need is a hole for the cable to run through. The stock shifter bolts flat to the floor, and the shifter and linkage go through the floor. You have to mount the shifter above the console.....This looks like crap.
That is why I am doing away with the Hurst shifter....
I have an old core shifter...basebroken, has shifter arm. It will work. Just ugly/ If you want tp borrow it, just pay shipping both ways, and you can use it..maybe it will help you figure out what you need...
If you are interested in borrowing the old shifter, send me an e-mail...address is in my Bio...

Steve

·
Registered
359 Posts
Huh...I guess I was just looking in the wrong place. I thought all we had were the trade/free parts now.

For what it's worth, I think it's actually a bug with the software that runs the forum. For the longest time, I couldn't figure out how to get to the regional forums, as there was no link anywhere to be found. When I looked under Main Index, it just showed these items:

Vintage Mustang Forum

Trade/Free Mustang

...and nothing else. When I changed identities from zieroh to jester66, I suddenly was shown all of the rest of the boards. Now, on one of my computers (the one I'm typing on now), it's back to just the above two. Not sure exactly what's going on, but I don't think it's you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts