Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
6,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here we have a whole subforum dedicated to "The Heartland". I hear you even may have a moderator.

Curious thing is...I have no freaking idea where "The Heartland" even is....or if I'm in it, or next to it, or 1000 miles away from it. The listing for all boards shows the states included as Iowa, Minnesota, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Dakotas. Does that sound like the Heartland to you?

What do you guys think?

Phil

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
The states of Colorado, North Dakota, South Dakota, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Wyoming are typically associated with "The Heartland"—all states of the former Louisiana territories, known then as New France. However, Indiana, Michigan, and Minnesota are often excluded, while Idaho, Nevada, and Utah are sometimes included as Heartland states, but this remains a matter of dispute over regions..... From Wiki

I'm in the center, so I guess that makes me a heartlander..... and you say we have our own subforum?? lol

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Here we have a whole subforum dedicated to "The Heartland". I hear you even may have a moderator.

Curious thing is...I have no freaking idea where "The Heartland" even is....or if I'm in it, or next to it, or 1000 miles away from it. The listing for all boards shows the states included as Iowa, Minnesota, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Dakotas. Does that sound like the Heartland to you?

What do you guys think?

Phil
Living in one of the "Dakotas" (can't we get some separate love between the North & South? :frown2:) I would say those listed states pretty much cover it.

Naturally, my opinion, for what that's worth :grin2:

John

·
Administrator
19,688 Posts
I always thought the Heartland list a little lacking, I'd go with the "New France" Wiki and add those states to the list. (cough, Moderator job, cough) Heartland sounds a lot better than flyover country. (I've lived in two of those states and was born in a third.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's all subjective. Heartland doesn't include Louisiana, in my opinion. My thoughts: It's the center of the U.S. (east-west) states but not states on the ocean (that's why TX, MS and LA are out). Not that my opinion really matters.

I'm from Nebraska, but I travel the U.S. a lot and think there's a different mentality in that part of the country. I love different regions of the U.S. so don't hear me say that the Heartland people are right vs. others being wrong. It's also becoming more and more diverse. For instance, the Denver, CO area (and front range) is not the same as the rest of Colorado. So what does it really matter?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts