Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 6 cylinder engine from a 1967 Mustang convertible that I need to pull from my car. I am a bit confused on where the best point on the engine is to use bolts to hook a chain so I can use a hoist to get it out this weekend. The last thing I want to do is damage the engine because I am selling it to someone else. For anyone who has pulled this kind of engine any tips would be appreciated. Below are some images of my engine so you can point out exactly where to mount the chain. I plan on pulling the engine and trans as one unit.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Kevin

·
Registered
953 Posts
I used the left rear head bolt (behind #6 spark plug) and the right front exhaust manifold bolt.
I did the same, can't recall the exact location but one was on the rear left and the other front right. The transmission was not in mine, I may have used a bellhousing hole to the block in the back. Up front, can't recall, I just remember finding the beefiest bolt that I could find.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
In the very back of the engine there are extra bolt holes for different transmission mounts. Just under the head on either side above the bellhousing. I'd use the passenger side on of those and the front driver's side I think would work well bolted into the power steering mount holes right in front of the distributor. That way you're not disturbing the head bolt torque.

Here's a pic to help visualize the rear bolt holes. The chain's on the driver's side in this shot but there are holes on either side.

·
Registered
289 Posts

Here’s one way to do it. I would have preferred to use straps but we didn’t have any. Fortunately this oil pan had a huge dent in it already so there wasn’t any concerns about scratching it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts