Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that I have this 66' Coupe, I want to make some changes and am wondering where I should start.

I know I would like bigger wheels (16's possibly?) and I would also like to add power disc brakes, but which one first?

I have been doing some reading on the site and am still sketchy on some things, so I am hoping you fine folks will set me straight....

It looks like the wheels may need to come first as doing disc brakes require a larger wheel? If so, this solves which one first right away, or by adding bigger wheels am I going to need better brakes at the same time turning this into a joint upgrade?

And concerning the disc brakes, I see some folks going with the disc in the front and leaving the drums in the rear, is that a fairly common practice? Or should I be doing both front and rear? And along those routes, would I be able to do them myself? Bear in mind, I do not have a ton of experience working on cars and as the brakes are pretty damn important I certainly don't want to risk my life or anyones around me by screwing something up, should I look into someone else doing it for me?

Thanks for your time as usual.

Marty

·
Registered
152 Posts
Safety first, then drivability, then aesthetics. As far as rear disc that is up to you. I have 4 disc, but cars will stop fine with fronts only. As far as doing it yourself, yes its pretty straight forward and allot of info on how to do brakes on this site and Mustang Monthly.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I absolutley agree, it's in some of the reading I have done that it looks like some of the conversion kits for disc brakes, I need larger than 14" wheels. If I can do the brakes first, and then add the wheels later, it's the way I want to go, I am just hoping to get some of those things clarified so I can move forward.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
SSBC makes a nice kit...although I believe it requires 15 wheels...I spent more time plumbing the porportioning valve than I did installing the brakes themselves. The rears only account for somewhere between 20 to 25% of stopping power. So you have to decide if that percentage offsets the expense involved....The drums work...so just how much better are the disc back there???? 5-10%????
Also keep in mind that some kits require "larger" than 15 wheels...so once installed...no going back... ::

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
If you're trying to do the upgrade in stages while maintaining drivability. Here's what I would do. I would first decide which brand of disc brakes I want to use. Then purchase the correct wheel/tire combo to work with that particular choice. Since there's no reason the larger wheels cant run on the drum brakes already on the car, I would be able to drive on the new wheels immediately, then upgrade the brakes when ready.

BTW, although there's allot of expertise here on the PNW forum, general questions like this are better suited to the main forum board because you have a much broader audience and possibilities for input.

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
I agree, safety, driveability, reliablity, first and then looks.

You can do front only disc conversion and it does help tremendously. Stainless Steel brakes does offer a stock-equivalent disc conversion that will work with 14 inch wheels. That's what's on my car with '66 styled steel wheels.

If you're changing wheels anyway, then you can get into larger rotors which will help braking even more. But stepping up to new wheels and tires ups the price considerably.

·
Registered
327 Posts
There is a lot of expertise, especially on the main board about the swaps. But for inexperienced people like me, it gets down right confusing when using the search feature. There is the Granada swap (what years?), after market (brands, what size tires and wheels?) propotioning valves (what ones?), master cylinders (dual, power, Ford, Chebby?) and if you post a question there is always the guy that responds with, "use the search, its been discussed many times." Like what hasn't on the board? If someone who was knowledgable could put it all together in an easy to read format I would buy that info.

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
It looks like the wheels may need to come first as doing disc brakes require a larger wheel? If so, this solves which one first right away, or by adding bigger wheels am I going to need better brakes at the same time turning this into a joint upgrade?
I'll assume that your Styled Steel wheels are 14" and not 15"? If this is true, if you go with the SSBC front disk set up that Keith mentioned, you will not need to upgrade to new wheels right away. You can use the current ones, and wait until you find the wheels you want.

Because I am running 14x6 Cragar SS wheels on my '66 coupe, I opted for the SSBC conversion because it includes EVERYTHING I need, and I don't need to change wheels. With this kit you don't have to worry about scavenging the junk yard for parts like you would with the Grenada swap, plus everything is brandnew! The downside to it is, the kit is a bit spendy ~$1,000.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent advice as usual, yes I do have the 14" wheels, so maybe I will look into SSBC setup to start, we'll see, I have one other thing on my mind at the moment, see my other post. :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Marty, as you now have a few "other" expences right now... I will just tell you what I'm doing, as I'm in the middle of the very same thing right now! (as well as the stereo upgrade etc...) And keep in mind, with a 22 month old, we still are on a tight budget.

I opted for the Grenada upgrade. Most of the stuff I got was on [censored], for a lot less then either new (most of the parts are new) or even from a junk yard. Do as you are doing, read up all you can find on the subject, and take your time and search out the parts.

I got the whole spindle/rotor, new brake pads etc... complete from a local guy, off of [censored] for $150. Found a brand new dual master cylinder for front disc rear drum on [censored] for $12!
Found a guy who will make custom power boosters out of LA that will eliminate the bracket, so it will fit with the dual MS for $150, got the brake line adapters for about $15, just need the new tie rod ends and the adjuster sleves for the granada ends, and two new brake lines and I should be done for about $400 total! (could have gotten it down a little...)

Then once you have collected all the parts, you may have a few bucks to put towards the wheels? I'm running 15" Styled.

Just my point of view?

Good luck, and you can check it out anytime... maybe catch up with you at Covington sometime?

Brett!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts