Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to lengthen the rod length between the brake master cylinder (1967 4 wheel drum brakes, manual). I know adjustable length push rods are sold because I purchased one 3 years ago for another car. However, I cannot find a listing in the NPD catalog. Is this a part sold through the mustang catalogs or do I need to buy it from a specialty brake manufacturer, like SSBC or Master Power Brakes?

Thanks,

·
Registered
780 Posts
You can make one for about 3 bucks by using a bolt, coupling nut, and locking nut. Chuck up the bolt in a drill and round off the head. Cut off your old rod, thread it, and assemble as shown.

http://midnightdsigns.com/james/images/AdjustRod.jpg

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
JamesWnew said:
You can make one for about 3 bucks by using a bolt, coupling nut, and locking nut. Chuck up the bolt in a drill and round off the head. Cut off your old rod, thread it, and assemble as shown.

http://midnightdsigns.com/james/images/AdjustRod.jpg
And that might cost $10. Screw mustangs plus!

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mustangs Plus $38.95. Viginia Classic Mustang Parts, $34.95. Cost of a bolt, nut and coupling nut $3. I think I'll make one. Thanks for the example photos.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Why not cut your old one in suitable lengths then thread both of the cut ends. You would only have to buy the coupler and save the cost of the bolt.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
The bolt keeps the end from adjusting itself once installed. I'd go ahead and spend the nickel.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Isn't it actually the Nut that keeps it from moving?

Any possible problems from not having the little clip that holds the pushrod in place? Could it pop out of there?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I agree with Mark. The nut is the locking feature that keeps the ass'y from backing off. While on the subject the shop manual gives the correct dimension for rod length and also shows how to make a gage to adjust the rod to the proper length. If it is too long you drive around with some pressure on your brakes all the time. Too short and you will have excessive pedal free travel before brakes are applied.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts