Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have done some searching through the site and know that these 2 products go a long way towards helping the handling of my 66' coupe for not a lot of $$$.

My questions for you experts are:

1. Where to buy from?

2. Concerning the monte carlo bar. It would appear that I need to get the curved bar as I have the 289 Hi-Po filter and it appears that mounting between the shock towers will not work at all. Although, I have seen pictures on some of your engines where the bar isn't fastened to the shock towers at all, but to the side walls of the engine in front of them. Am I imagining things or is there more than one place to mount the monte carlo bar?

Thanks for treating the newbie kindly... :D

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Do you have an open element filter or the closed style unit.
If you have the closed or open element filter on a 14" unit the stright monet carlo bar will work fine.
On an open element oval filter you will need a curved bar.
On a side note we will be offering a quick release monet car bar in a straight bar only version for now coming out in the next week or two.
Gives you the support you need while quickly being able to remove it for easy access to the engine for work.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I'd buy from NPD.

My experience with the export brace.....mine went in once I SAFELY lifted the front of the car by the center of the bolt on crossmember under the engine, AND BOLTED ONE END TO IT'S CORRESPONDING SHOCK TOWER FIRST.

From there, I was able to jiggle around the bolts on the other shock tower top, THEN deal with the firewall....thats what worked for me.

And I definitely wont put in a MC bar until the export brace is completely in.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The bar mounts in front of the towers using the bolts for the outer spring covers/outer shock tower what ever you want to call it.. Some go in easy wihtout lifting the car, some have had to spead the towers apart... Most that don't just drop in right away will if you cack up the car from the crossmember and let it sit for a bit and relax then the bar should fit in with little finess

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Where to buy from-Ponderosa Mustang IMO

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a picture of my engine, the air filter is right between the shock towers practically....

http://home.comcast.net/~martybauer31/engine.jpg

Stupid question, but I assume the bar is mounted underneath the tower, or is it on top? if it goes on top, it might fit, but otherwise it doesn't look like it would.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Actually, the bar fits just forward of the tower on the flat portion of the inner fender. The straight bar goes over the top of the distributor. I second the purchase from Matt at Ponderosa.

Lou

1 - 7 of 7 Posts