Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using mustangs unlimited for my floor pans and other such things that can be worked to fit without much fear of looking bad. However, when it comes to fenders, the hood, trunk lid, etc... I need the best fit possible for my dollar.

Has anyone bought their exterior panels from a company with a decent price and a nice product? I'll be buying soon (next few months) so any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
NPD all the way. Out of all of the sheet metal that I bought for my coupe, the metal that came from NPD was the highest quality by far. They seem to have very high quality standards for the products they carry. Customer service was great from my dealing with them, extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

The sheet metal that I got from Paddock Parts was less than decent, and that was after I waited a month for the parts to get off back order. For what I paid there for parts, I could have spent less at NPD and gotten a lot higher quality parts. Customer service wasn't to bad in my experience but I know that some others here have had bad experiences with them.

California Mustang had pretty good stuff, but it wasn't the cheapest place. I would have no problem shopping there again if the price was right.

I haven't boughten any sheet metal from The Mustang Depot but had really good luck with them. Customer service was great and they had no problem exchanging a part that I messed up on when ordering at no extra cost.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I used the Ford tooling fenders and hood. Fit great.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
If orignial Ford tooling is available, GO WITH THAT!! I can not stress that enough. I don't care what the price, if it means you have to save up a little longer, believe me, it's worth it. I nearly pulled my hair out trying to align my fenders because they were repops. I got original Ford tooling headlight buckets, and I actually had to modify the fenders to accept the buckets if that tells you how "nice" some of the repop stuff is.

I've always had good luck with NPD and I'm sure their sheet metal is nice, but at the end of the day, you just never know what's going to show up at your door.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't know who sells good sheet metal but I can tell you that Mustangs Unlimited definitely doesn't. I used MU for doors and fenders on my car and in my opinion they fit horribly.

...my 2 cents

·
Registered
787 Posts
Man why did you have to say that!!!! I just recieved a rear GT valance and a front valance(ford tooling) Mustangs Unlimited. Now I'm worried how they are going to fit. i normally order from Ponderosamustang but since they would not return my calls and never answered their phone,I did my bussiness with MU instead.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I may be naive but I think Ford tooling is Ford tooling!

·
Registered
787 Posts
You are probably right but the front valance is ford tooling and they don't offer ford tooling for the reat GT valance(thats what i am worrying about!)

Dave

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Wherever you buy it from you want to be there to inspect them on site. I've bought sheetmetal from NPD & they tell you to unwrap & inspect it for dents etc before it leaves the store. That's the only way to buy exterior sheetmetal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts