Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove the brake distribution block on my 69 because I went to a JMC twin master cylinder set up that has a brake balance bar on it so the distribution block is not needed. The problem I am running into is that I do not want to cut my brake lines and replace the nuts so all the adapters I am findinghave to big of holes in them. Since Ford used different sized nuts on the 3/16 brake lines at the distribution block I need to find fittings to couple the 2 front brake lines and then run another line up to the master cylinder. And for the rear I need to find a fitting to couple the line down from the master cylinder to the line that goes to the rear brakes. Where can I find such adapters the are set up with the proper size hole for a 3/16 brake line?

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
NAPA carries them. Just take the line you want joined in and they can fix you up.

John harvey

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never thought to check Napa. Thanks

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I bought all my stainless tubing and fittings from Inline Tube

I just bought straight sections and bent it to fit my needs.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Check out 'Ultrastang" (Steve) for the correct size MC fittings. I will be getting these from him next time to avoid adapters.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Most industrial hydraulic supply houses also stock automotive hydraulic fittings/parts. Since I work in the business, I just get everything from the same place I get hydraulic seals for my customers.

The NAPA/Autozone stores in our little town are pretty worthless for such items, so YMMV on that, depending on where you live.

Pat

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I ran all over town today looking for the fittings. I did find what I was looking for to do the front brakes but am having trouble finding what I need for the rear. The problem with the rears is that Ford used a 7/16" thread on the tube nut for them. Well everything I found with the 7/16" thread has a .188 hole in it. Thats to big for a 3/16" tube to seal on. I will continue my search tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Good luck - went thru the same thing when I busted my distribution block and could not find one for a 1970 same size. In any case I pulled my rear line off and took to a local auto parts store that does hydraulic fitting and and them put new fitting on. They were stainless lines so I could not do myself. Back line is kinda a tricky to remove but it will snake thru - had mine off twice so I got pretty good at it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Try Carquest. They have lots of brake line fittings. That's where I had to get some when I ran new brake lines for a drum to disk swap.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I now have all the fittings I need to remove my brake distribution block. The backs were the big hold up. I could not find a fitting to couple the 3/8 threaded nut to the 7/16 threaded nut on the original style brake lines.Then I find out that the 7/16 nuts that Ford uses has a special thread. It is 7/16-24 so I bought a tap for it. Well I found a fitting that would work but it had 9/16-18 female threads in it. So I made an insert out of stainless that had 9/16-18 threads on the outside and 7/16-24 threads on the inside.I screwed it into the fitting I bought and am now good to go. All I need now is the time to remove the distribution block. Maybe tomorrow with any luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts