Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts

When I got ready for a T5 I had made up my mind that I wanted a 2.95 1st gear and a .80 5th gear. By the time I bought a T5 core, a 2.95 gear set, a .80 gear set, a billet steel cluster support plate and a steel front bearing retainer I was looking at $1500. There is a guy near me who builds lots of T5s and he told me he could build that transmission for me for $1250 with no core charge. So I bought one from him.

·
Registered
35 Posts

When I got ready for a T5 I had made up my mind that I wanted a 2.95 1st gear and a .80 5th gear. By the time I bought a T5 core, a 2.95 gear set, a .80 gear set, a billet steel cluster support plate and a steel front bearing retainer I was looking at $1500. There is a guy near me who builds lots of T5s and he told me he could build that transmission for me for $1250 with no core charge. So I bought one from him.
I'd be interested in his contact info also. Looking for one for my foxbody.

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
For those of you looking for T5s- Earl's user name is "lpgturbo" on corral.net.

·
Registered
20,925 Posts
Who makes the gears? I have a 97 T5 that maybe one day I'll use. Maybe not. Anyway I bought a input shaft from Hanlon. While talking with them they said original Tremec gears are hard to come by. Their gears are made in India. My input shaft is beautifully made. Hanlon said that's about the only choice for quality gears and they haven't had any problems. I called Hanlon after recommendation from another VFM member I believe. Or maybe it was FB. Anyway that person said they have been building T5's with Hanlon's Indian made gears and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Earl just got back to me. It’s going to be $1495 plus $95 shipping..295 first gear and .80 5th gear..
Gotta think about it..
Anybody else here back from Earl?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just curious - why the .8 OD? Seems to be neutralizing one of the main benefits of the T5.

I also had a T5 built by a local guru with the Z gears (2.95/.63), billet support plate, bronze shifter bushing, and billet 3/4 keys for $1250...so the price seems fair to me.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Just curious - why the .8 OD? Seems to be neutralizing one of the main benefits of the T5.

I also had a T5 built by a local guru with the Z gears (2.95/.63), billet support plate, bronze shifter bushing, and billet 3/4 keys for $1250...so the price seems fair to me.
I’ve been thinking about changing my T5’s OD gearset to .8 vs .63 that’s in it now.

It’s a gear spacing preference. Still lowering rpm, just not much of a spread between 4th and 5th. First world problems

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
728 Posts
So what would the rpm difference between the .80/.63 5th gear?
I have a whole sheet on this.. a small sample

At 70mph, with a 3.70 rear gear, 25.5” tall tires
.63: ~2150rpm
.80: ~2800rpm

At 80mph
.63: ~2450rpm
.80: ~3200rpm

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
So what would the rpm difference between the .80/.63 5th gear?
27% more RPMs in 5th gear using the .80 gear. In my case, having a .63, that would take my RPMs from 2,000 @ 65mph to about 2,540. I can use 5th down to about 40 mph. The .80 will cost between 2-3 mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I recently found that Astro had the 2.95 gear sets for a very reasonable price.
I was going to go this route when rebuilding my T5 but decided to wait.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts