Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,076 Posts
Just curious - why the .8 OD? Seems to be neutralizing one of the main benefits of the T5.
You can't "pull" a .63 unless you've got some really serious horsepower...... hence the .63 is basically a mileage gear.
Don't fool yourself into thinking you're not going to see improved mileage with only the 650 rpm reduction of the .80 OD gear. It
is noticeable..... just not as much as the .63 OD.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You can't "pull" a .63 unless you've got some really serious horsepower...... hence the .63 is basically a mileage gear.
Don't fool yourself into thinking you're not going to see improved mileage with only the 650 rpm reduction of the .80 OD gear. It
is noticeable..... just not as much as the .63 OD.
Don’t disagree with you at all that it’ll reduce the RPM or that the .63 is not great for passing. Obviously to each their own, but a .80 OD on a street car makes little sense to me. The main benefit of a T5 is OD, and you’re giving up almost half of that benefit vs a .63 just to be able to pass someone at 70 quicker and potentially without downshifting.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I had a .8 OD in my FFR Cobra, and it was a blast to drive, much better than the .63 OD. But as far as being piratical, The car as a whole wasn't very piratical.

Reactions: blueovalfan68

·
Premium Member
11,784 Posts
Just curious - why the .8 OD? Seems to be neutralizing one of the main benefits of the T5.
The .80 will cost between 2-3 mpg on the highway.
If you're worried about 2 or 3 mpg you shouldn't be driving a Vintage Mustang. Get a Prius instead.
The .8 OD makes the transmission more like a true 5 speed, not a 4 speed with OD. I had ridden in cars with the .63 OD and the shift from 4th to 5th was a real downer. My engine loves to wind up so I let it do just that.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
21 - 26 of 26 Posts