Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I looked up a local place today and took my wing windows, and instrument panel pieces to get re-chromed. First he tells me they can not do the plastic pieces. Okay, so who does these? Then he tells me he can not do the wing windows until I take the stuff off the glass. So now we are down to just the two frames and the heater control knobs and frame. $700 :horror: And that is for the middle of the road chrome plating. I told him he needed to go back to the crack pipe.

So, is there somewhere cheaper that can do this for me? At this point I am open to shipping it out of state if it is any cheaper. I guess our California labor rates are just getting out of control.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
ON the plastic pieces, the process for refinishing them is a vacuum plating process. Take a look at Ray Azcue's site for refinishing instrument panel pieces. http://qualitymustangs.tripod.com

On the other pieces, high quality rechroming is expensive for a number of reasons, not just labor so, in some regards, you get what you pay for. IIRC Kent Ketell had a bear of a time getting a decent quality rechrome job on his vent window frames and ended up using three sets (one being "lost" by the plater.

In the south bay there are a couple of places I know of but have never used either. One is Faith Bumper in Santa Clara and the other is Superior Plating in San Jose.

·
Registered
540 Posts
California has very strict laws about things like painting and chroming. Its bad for peoples health as well as for the enviornment so they make it hard to do and make it expensive too. Thats what my painter said to me. He told me he could send my chrome stuff down to mexico and get it done for a fraction of the cost and as good of chroming job done anywhere else. Might want to look into that. Down there they don't care about much :p

·
7,015 Posts
When I was looking into chrome plating, I found out pretty fast that:

1. I was going to have to send my parts a long way.
2. Nobody would give me a hard quote before seeing the parts.
3. Some platers won't even guarantee that you'll ever see your parts again. If they aren't up to the plating process they just scrap them I guess.
4. It's incredibly expensive. A few years ago I got rough quotes to rechrome the top plates on my console. Lowest was $400...and that wasn't a firm quote. The guy wouldn't even say for sure if I'd ever see my console plates again!

You've got a couple of options. Buy reproduction meaning you'll get a new part for a fraction of the cost of rechroming an original part. Or, in the true spirit of "project" you could buy a kit and set up a rechroming operation in your garage.

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/triple.htm

Looks really interesting. Here's one dude's old Triumph Bike he replated using that system:

http://www.caswellplating.com/restgal/images/Triumph-RWheel-L.jpg

Not too shabby!

Phil

·
Registered
540 Posts
Doesn't look to bad at all. Wonder how it would work on larger parts like bumpers and such. If anyone gets it i'd love to see how it turns out with that kit.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I had mine done in Detroit. Started out inexpensive, but by the time I was through I was paying around $60 for a power steering bracket.

The heater control plate and knobs are reproduced.

plating involves using acid to strip the old stuff, polishing out pits, knicks, or filling them with copper. Over this is put nickle, then over this, chrome. This is the triple plate process. A bad plate job will leave the copper showing through, or a bluish tinge to the chrome.

If your parts are not pitted badly, you might consider just buffing them extremely well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I received great service and two week turn around from Speed & Sport Chrome Plating, 404 Broadway St, Houston, TX (713) 921-0235

Craig will give you quote if you email pictures. Call him first. As I recall he is not in the shop mornings. I shopped around a lot before finding these guys. Wait at some shops were estimated at 3 to 4 months! There is nothing like unwrapping fresh chrome!!

Barry

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
There's a good shop here in Tucson that does all my work--Quality Plating. Their prices aren't too bad, either. They do regular or show chrome and other plating, too.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I've learned mighty quickly you are cheaper off looking for NOS stuff than to rechrome your OEM stuff. Platers that actually restore the pits in the chrome before they plate it are even pricier.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Speed and Sport is not too bad, and not too pricey compared to the better guys like Paul's Chrome Plating. Be careful on pot metal with pits. He doesn't fix them very well. The problem with Texas is it is illegal to use Acid Copper, which is what most chrome shops use to fill pits. What the shops are doing in Texas, including Speed and Sport, is grinding away metal until most of the pit is gone. The problem is you end up with a wavy part or one with all of the character lines gone.

Doug

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Go to Mexicali, It is way cheap there....Gona have my entire car chromed!!!!!hehehehe....

Mel ::

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
Chroming is not cheap, particularly if you want it done well.

There are LOTS of places that will polish the detail right off of your parts for you and then cover them in chrome. If you are ok with that you can get it done for a pretty low price.

If you want your parts to look like they are supposed to when you get them back, and would rather have the pitting filled instead of polished out, you will have to pay for it.

I ended up going to Sherms Custom Plating for my vent window assemblies. I had to disassemble them and ship just what I wanted done. I also had them do two exterior door handles and buttons. IIRC, my total was $745.00, but I'd have to look that up to verify. I got the top-of-the-line, "Show car" work done. It turned out excellent.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I had my vent windows rechromed at one shop for $220 each. When I had my 1/4 frames done though, I went through a custom motorcycle shop and it cost me about 1/2 as much. Honestly, I can't see any difference between the two...not too sure if that's good or bad though. ::

·
Registered
759 Posts
Paul's Chrome in Evans City, PA does excellent work. They will pic the part, describe what they must do and give you a price in writing that will locked. If they loose the part or if you are unhappy they will make it right. We have used them exclusively for many years in our restorations. Excellent service and quality. As with any high end chromer it is expensive; a vent window frame cost around $250 and a qtr. window frame cost around $250.

·
Registered
150 Posts
2 or 3 years ago I sent the front bumper of a '70 Charger to tri-city plating in Eastern Tennessee to have it rechromed, and the best I can remember it only cost around $300 plus shipping. They were quick and did a very nice job. Not sure if they do other pieces, but check them out at tricityplating.com.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
You've heard once, you'll hear it again, "you'll get what you pay for". I too used Paul's Chrome. http://www.paulschrome.com/
Seen their ad on My Classic car. As other poster said, honest, prof., before they start your job, they send you a pic to have say that's what you sent. They scribed in my initials on every part. I had my '67 vert front vent window frames (250. each, rear 1/4 frames 275. each) if I remember correctly. Took about 3-4wks. I was very pleased with detail work. You could still see small grooves in places. Not all filled in like I've seen some platers do.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Yes, check to posting dates!

But, I can tell you, a year back Ray Azcue was NOT answering his emails, and the phone number changed, so, I'm sure he no longer does this.
For plastic, I used ChromeTech, they are in Madison WI (Google it)

For metal, every pit has to be filled, sanded, prepped etc. So, it is labor intensive, and you are paying the labor. You either want it done right, or you are going to wish you had it done right.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts