Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've been on here. I've had to put the Mustang off to the side for a while since I bought a house and most of my money is going there. But the good side is that I just got my yearly attendance bonus and I've got some cash I can put into the car. So I'm wondering where I can get some good rear leaf springs. Mine have had it pretty much. I'm looking for something that will work with my 1" lowering springs I put on the front last year. From what I remember reading aren't the rears approximately 1 1/2" lower than the front? I was thinking about getting something more heavy duty so it would be roughly 2" higher in the back with the new fronts.
Any info on that or a place to buy would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
7,061 Posts
You should get a 4 leaf spring. When I put in 1" drop leafs (so called "mideye" springs) it raised my back 1 to 2 inches. My old springs were that saggy! IIWY I'd consider the mideyes. They should be about right with a 1" drop in front. The stock springs sit up too high in back IMHO.

Phil

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's cool, but are there any places that I need to stay away from? I usually use Mustangs Unlimited but I don't know what kind of quality springs they have. Are they ok or not. I know they're really good with getting them to you quickly, even though you may have to pay a little more on price.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
I put the 4 1/2 mid eye leafs from Mustang Plus on mine. Very happy with the ride and the height :biggrin:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those Eaton ones look pretty expensive if you ask me. I think I'll try some of what was said here from another vendor.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I'm kind of partial to the Grab-A-Track springs from Mustangs Plus. Problem is that you're going to pay a pretty penney for shipping to Alabama ... those springs are as bulky as they are heavy. I'm fortunate to live close enough to just go pick them up.

I have the 4.5 leaf mid-eyes on the back of the '66. I've always thought the back was about 1/2" to 1" too low in the back, though. So on the '69, I went with the 5 leaf standard eye, and right now it's too high (just put them on this week). I'll give it a few hundred miles to see if they'll settle any, then probably get a lowering block for them if they don't settle some.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I ordered mine from Pro Motorsports Engineering . Neil was very helpful in helping me decide on my suspension. Don't know how the ride height will turn out yet since they are laying in the floor in my office.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Check around your locale for a spring shop that will fab them for you. Get them to commit up front to working with you to get the ride height you want. This is the only for-sure way to get some readymade springs with the ride height you want. You can get lucky with some off the shelf units, but I'd say it's a 33/33/33 chance they'll be "just right."

Otherwise, if you go with a mail order set and you need to go lower and the vendor won't take them back, an alternative to lowering blocks is to take a short leaf from your existing springs and clamp it upside down to your new set, like this:

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/9461/spring_rear_r.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts